Rice prices dropped at their fastest pace since 1995, bringing consumer price increases to below one percent in July, partly supported by the current administration’s ₱20-per-kilo rice program. Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) Undersecretary and National Statistician Claire Dennis Mapa...
Six out of 45 projects flagged as problematic in 2023 by the Department of Economy, Planning, and Development (DEPDev) have been removed from the list of critical-stage projects, a top official said. This, as DEPDev’s 2024 Official Development Assistance (ODA) Portfolio Review Report released on...
Citing a lackluster performance that the Philippine economy has been showing since its recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic, climbing to the high-income-status target 15 years from now could be impossible, the country’s chief socioeconomic planner stated. Department of Economy, Planning, and...
The Economy and Development (ED) Council has approved the North-South Commuter Railway (NSCR) operations and maintenance project, valued at around ₱229.3 billion, during its second meeting on Tuesday, July 15. Department of Economy, Planning, and Development (DEPDev) Secretary Arsenio M....
Fifteen years from now, the Philippine economy could accelerate by 6.8 percent yearly if the country continues to improve regional connectivity, productivity, and resource allocation, the Washington-based World Bank stated. According to the multilateral lender’s latest report on Philippine growth...
Amid rising concerns over online gambling, one of the country 's top economic officials proposed leveraging e-wallets as a tool for taxation. As President Marcos’ economic managers have yet to finalize their collective stance, Department of Economy, Planning, and Development (DEPDev)...
Economy, Planning, and Development Secretary Arsenio M. Balisacan has expressed confidence that the Philippine economy can accelerate to a growth rate of 5.5 percent to 6.5 percent after downscaling from the more ambitious growth target previously. Despite concerns of slower household consumption,...
More than ₱50 billion in additional government revenues is expected following the approval of a 10-year extension of the concession agreements of major water service providers by the Economy and Development (ED) Council on Wednesday, June 18. The ED Council, chaired by President Ferdinand Marcos...
Former Department of Agriculture (DA) secretary Leonardo Montemayor on Saturday, May 24, expressed dismay over the retention of key cabinet officials behind Executive Order (EO) No. 62, saying the Marcos Administration appears to be sidelining Filipino farmers in its ongoing leadership revamp....
Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (BSP) Governor Eli M. Remolona Jr. expects President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. to reject the resignations of the economic team, arguing that the President’s dissatisfaction was not directed at the team, which he says operates very professionally. This came after the...
President Marcos ' directive for Cabinet resignations has sparked a mix of hope and apprehension in the local financial market, as some view it as a necessary step toward improved governance and economic performance, while others are concerned about potential market volatility during the...
With the President-backed bloc securing a midterm poll victory over the Duterte-aligned camp, Moody’s Analytics said the outcome could help ensure smoother continuity of the administration’s economic and governance policies. “In the Philippines, President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s...