Six more fatalities related to the combined effects of the enhanced southwest monsoon (habagat) and Tropical Cyclones “Luis” and “Maymay,” bringing the death toll to 19, according to the latest report released by the Office of Civil Defense on Tuesday, Aug. 11. The OCD said the death toll...
BANGKOK (AP) — A schoolgirl died from critical wounds on Saturday after a student opened fire at a high school and his home outside Bangkok the day before, bringing the death toll from the attack to at least eight people. The 14-year-old opened fire at around 10 a.m. Friday at Debsirin...
KUMAMOTO, Japan (AP) — Soldiers and emergency workers combed through a badly damaged shopping mall and collapsed houses looking for trapped survivors Wednesday after a powerful earthquake that killed at least 18 people, including a foreigner, in southwestern Japan. The magnitude 7.1 earthquake...
BANGKOK (AP) — Survivors and family members of victims of a deadly bar fire in Bangkok visited a nearby police station on Wednesday to seek compensation, gather belongings and share statements from the blaze. The fire, which broke out on Sunday night, killed at least 32 people and left more than...
LA GUAIRA, Venezuela (AP) — Tensions flared Saturday as desperation grew in Venezuela 's state of La Guaira as rescuers and civilians searched for earthquake survivors and the death toll rose sharply to 1,430. Families reported at least 68,900 people missing Saturday, three days after the...
The reported death toll due to the magnitude 7.8 earthquake that jolted Sarangani has risen to 35, the Office of Civil Defense (OCD) said on Monday night, June 8. Thirty-one fatalities were in Soccsksargen (Region 12) while four were in Davao (Region 11) as of 8 p.m. Of the 31 dead in Region 12,...
(SECOND UPDATE) The Office of Civil Defense said (OCD) it was verifying reports that at least 19 people died due to a magnitude 7.8 earthquake that struck Maasim, Saranggani on Monday morning, June 8. As of 3:30 p.m., the OCD said 16 fatalities were recorded in Soccsksargen (Region 12) while three...
ANGELES CITY – Twenty bodies have so far been recovered in the collapsed building here. Three more – a young girl, a man, and a woman – were found one after the other on Tuesday afternoon. Authorities earlier found four bodies from late Monday night to early Tuesday morning. Also recovered...
Seventeen remains have been recovered from the collapsed building in Angeles City. Authorities found four more bodies from late Monday night to early Tuesday morning – 14th at 11:20 p.m. on Monday and the 15th at 1:56 a.m., 16th at 2:07 a.m., and 17th at 4:08 a.m., Tuesday. Also recovered from...
The Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) on Tuesday confirmed the location of the sunken MV Trisha Kerstin 3 during the dive operations in the sea of Baluk-Baluk Island, Basilan. In a Facebook post, PCG Technical Diving Group supervisor Commander Cheska Jamorol said the vessel is lying in an east-to-west...
CEBU CITY – The death toll in the collapsed dumpsite in Barangay Binaliw here increased to 13 as two more fatalities were recovered on Tuesday afternoon, Jan. 13. SFO3 Wendell Villanueva, information officer of the Cebu City Fire Department, said rescuers are still searching for 23 persons...
Rescuers detected signs of life in an avalanche of garbage that killed at least four workers and left more than 30 others missing Thursday in Cebu City landfill and plan to intensify search efforts, an official said Saturday. Twelve workers have been rescued with injuries from the huge mound of...