K-pop girl group BLACKPINK’s new music video “Ice Cream (with Selena Gomez)” has set a second personal best record in its debut on Aug. 28.
YouTube told Bulletin Entertainment on Sept. 1 that the “Ice Cream” MV garnered 79.08 million views in the first 24 hours of release on Aug. 28, the No. 3 biggest 24-hour debut on YouTube.
This is less than BLACKPINK’s “How You Like That” MV, which recorded 86.3 million views in its debut on June 26.
BTS’ “Dynamite” music video is No. 1, amassing 101.1 million views in the first 24 hours of release on Aug. 21 followed by “How You Like That.”
When “How You Like That” music video was released, it captured the No. 1 spot for the most viewed music video in the first 24 hours of release at the time, edging out BTS’ “Boy With Luv,” released in April 2019, which had 74.6 million views in its first 24-hour cycle.
Guinness World Records even declared that “How You Like That” had set five new titles: most viewed YouTube video in 24 hours, most viewed music video on YouTube in 24 hours and most viewed YouTube music video in 24 hours by a K-pop group in addition to most viewers for the premiere of a video on YouTube and most viewers for the premiere of a music video on YouTube.
“Ice Cream” was BLACKPINK’s opportunity to reclaim the No. 1 spot on YouTube but came up short. Gomez and fellow pop star Ariana Grande are part of the songwriting team for the single and helped in promoting the single.
YouTube’s new top 10 most viewed music videos in the first 24 hours of release are:
1. BTS - “Dynamite” Official MV - 101.1 million
2. BLACKPINK - “'How You Like That' M/V - 86.3 million views
3. BLACKPINK - “Ice Cream (with Selena Gomez)” MV - 79.08 million
4. BTS - “Boy With Luv” feat. Halsey MV - 74.6 million
5. Taylor Swift - “ME!” - 65 million
6. BLACKPINK – “Kill This Love” - 56.7 million
7. Ariana Grande - “thank u, next” - 55.4 million
8. BTS - 'ON' Kinetic Manifesto Film: Come Prima - 46.5 million
9. BTS - 'IDOL' MV - 45.9 million views
10. BTS - 'ON' Official MV - 43.8 million views