Amid emotional exchanges among senators exactly a week after the gunfire incident inside the Senate, Senate Minority Leader Vicente Sotto III on Wednesday, May 20, proposed referring the matter to a Committee of the Whole, describing the issue as one that directly affects the institution and...
Some members of the Senate minority bloc on Wednesday, May 20 took the floor to ask why the Upper Chamber returned into a “business as usual” stand despite the chaos that transpired last week within its premises. Sen. Erwin Tulfo manifested his displeasure on the recent chaos in the Senate...
With so many personalities and institutions already dragged into the Senate gunfire incident, Sen. Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa should start to rethink his position of continuously playing hide-and-seek with law enforcement agencies. This was the stand of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)...
Senator Pia Cayetano was elected on Wednesday, May 20, as the new chairperson of the powerful Senate Blue Ribbon Committee. Senator Panfilo "Ping" Lacson, who was the panel 's previous chair, has yet to conclude the panel 's investigation into the anomalous flood control scandal in the...
Senator Raffy Tulfo wished his fellow colleague Senator Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa “good luck” after the Supreme Court issued a decision that effectively denied his bid to stop the International Criminal Court (ICC) from arresting him. Tulfo said the SC Court’s decision also gives...
Suspended Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Mao Aplasca said on Wednesday, May 20, that the closed-circuit television (CCTV) footage released on the night of the Senate shooting incident was spliced to support the narrative that there was no attack on the institution. "We are preparing the complete videos...
If policemen are prohibited from firing warning shots, then it follows that stricter rules and regulations govern non-law enforcement agencies that include the Senate’s Office of Sergeant-At-Arms (OSAA). So just imagine how screwed up you would be if you, as a civilian or a private security man,...
The Office of the Vice President (OVP) on Wednesday, May 20, confirmed that it had officially received the summons issued by the Senate sitting as an impeachment court in the case involving Vice President Sara Duterte. In a statement released on May 20, the OVP said the summons was received at...
They came. They promised. They delivered. And Gen. Jose Melencio C. Nartatez, Jr., chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP), expressed optimism that the fast conduct of police investigation—which was done within a week despite numerous challenges—will serve as the first stage in giving the...
OF TREES AND FOREST It is saddening to read reports that two foreign tourists assaulted the owners of a local business in Siargao after seeing a pro-Palestinian flag outside the shop. The foreigners allegedly threw rocks at the storefront and destroyed a nearby CCTV camera. The local community...
Amid speculations and debates relating to the Senate gunfire incident on the night of May 13, a top official of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) took note of some "unusual" things he observed at the course of the police investigation. But DILG Secretary Jonvic Remulla was...
The investigation conducted by the Philippine National Police (PNP) rejected claims that the Senate was under attack on the night of May 13 when pandemonium broke loose over a burst of gunfire that all stemmed from fears that Sen. Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa would be arrested. But as to the...