A PUBLIC consultation on the anti-political dynasty bill was held at the Performing Arts Hall of UP-Cebu on Thursday, Feb. 19. (Calvin Cordova)
CEBU CITY – Another round of public consultation on the anti-political dynasty bill was held here on Thursday, Feb. 19.
The consultation, led by the House Committee on Suffrage and Electoral Reforms, was held at the University the Philippines-Cebu where hundreds of students attended.
Lanao del Sur first district Rep. Zia Alonto Adiong said the House of Representatives is seeking public consultations on a reform that has remained unenacted nearly four decades after it was mandated by the 1987 Constitution.
“This will be our Visayas thread, and Cebu is one of the most important areas in Central Visayas. We are here to continue with our public consultation because we need to hear the conversation or position of our people so they can feel ownership over the process,” Adiong said.
Adiong addressed criticisms supposedly coming from the business sector that the bill being proposed is “weak.”
“That is just one of the 24 versions. That’s why we are holding public consultations so we can strengthen and improve the substitute bill that we will adopt,” said Adiong.
Adiong added that all inputs from stakeholders “are important to the committee so that we can come up with responsive and much reflective versions of our anti-political dynasty bill.”
Adiong said lawmakers are “pressed with time” to pass the bill.
“The leadership wants this to be done before the Lenten break because they want the anti-dynasty bill to be part of the President’s SONA (State-of-the-Nation Address) in July,” Adiong said.
A similar public consultation was also held in Cavite. Another one is scheduled in Cagayan de Oro City.
Mamamayang Liberal party-list Rep. Leila M. de Lima said the consultations are being brought to grassroots perspectives after the committee had earlier heard from constitutional experts, former justices, and members of the academe in formal hearings at the House.
“We want to feel the pulse and know the insights, views, and ideas of the people,” De Lima said. “This time around, bumaba kami, ang committee, para naman boses ng taong bayan ang puwedeng marinig.”
(This time around we went down to the grassroots to hear the voice of the people)
De Lima said public demand for the passage of the bill has been growing.
“The anti-dynasty bill is almost 40 years (overdue) since the Constitution explicitly commanded its enactment,” De Lima said.
Several lawmakers attended the Cebu consultation, including Rizal second district Rep. Emigdio III P. Tanjuatco, Bukidnon second district Rep. Jonathan Keith Flores, Caloocan City second district Rep. Edgar R. Erice, Kabataan party-list Rep. Renee Louise M. Co, Gabriela Women’s party-list Rep. Sarah Jane I. Elago, and Cebu City first district Rep. Rachel Marguerite “Cutie” del Mar.
Del Mar welcomed the holding of the forum in Cebu.
“Before passing a law it’s always good for us to consult with our constituents. Listen to you guys. Hear what you think, if you’re for it, if you’re against it, and why. That’s why we are here. We are your voice,” she said.