A Chinese woman was rescued while two of her captors, who allegedly demanded P500,000 ransom, were arrested during an operation conducted by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) in Quezon City.
NBI Acting Director Angelito DLP. Magno presented before the media on Monday, Feb. 16, the two suspects, both Chinese nationals, who were arrested by operatives of the NBI-International Operation Division (NBI-IOD) last Feb. 11
The NBI said its agents acted on the report of the victim’s boyfriend who complained that her girlfriend has been missing since Feb. 9.
It said: “On Feb. 9, 2026, the complainant managed to contact the victim via Viber, only to be informed that she was being held against her will. During the call, one of the kidnappers seized the phone and demanded a ransom of P500,000 for her release.”
It also said the suspected kidnappers allowed a video call where the victim displayed visible bruises on her body with the kidnappers threatening to dismember or kill the victim if the ransom was not paid by Feb. 10.
The NBI said that its investigators found that “the abductors had already coerced the victim into transferring RMB 104,000 (about P832,000) via online transfers before the ransom demand was even made.
With their arrest, the two suspects were charged with kidnapping and serious illegal detention in relation to Section 6 of Republic Act (RA) No. 10175, the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012.
NBI-IOD Chief Christopher Hernandez said: “This is a case of kidnap for ransom. The victim is a Chinese national as well as the perpetrators.”