Marikina residents back Rep. Marcy, call for end to political attacks
The statement of the Samahan ng mga Angkan sa Marikina expressing support for 1st District Rep. Marcelino “Marcy” R. Teodoro. (Photo from Samahan ng mga Angkan sa Marikina)
Around 10,000 Marikina residents expressed their support for 1st District Rep. Marcelino “Marcy” R. Teodoro and called for an end to what they described as political attacks following the five criminal cases filed against him by the Department of Justice (DOJ) on Tuesday, Aug. 18.
The complaints against Teodoro were filed with the DOJ in September last year and involved two female police officers who had served as part of his security detail. One officer alleged repeated sexual assault, while the other claimed sexual harassment.
DOJ spokesman Raphael Niccolo Martinez said the four counts of sexual assault and one count of acts of lasciviousness were already filed before the Regional Trial Court of Marikina, along with a transmittal of the records of the cases.
On Wednesday, Aug. 19, the Samahan ng mga Angkan sa Marikina said in a statement that the repeated accusations against Teodoro have caused frustration among families and communities who have known and worked with him for years.
The statement of the Samahan ng mga Angkan sa Marikina expressing support for 1st District Rep. Marcelino “Marcy” R. Teodoro. (Photo from Samahan ng mga Angkan sa Marikina)
They also claimed that the cases were bogus and lacked sufficient basis.
“Ang mga kasong ito laban kay Cong. Marcy Teodoro ay bogus at walang sapat na basehan, at nakakalungkot na ginagamit ang mga ito para hilain pababa ang isang taong matagal na naming nakasama at nakilala sa Marikina (These cases against Cong. Marcy Teodoro are bogus and lack sufficient basis, and it is unfortunate that they are being used to bring down someone whom we have known and been with for a long time in Marikina),” said the group, composed of 50 clans.
The group said the allegations against Teodoro would not erase his reputation as a longtime member of the Marikina community.
“Hindi isang paratang ang basta makakabura sa mahabang pinagsamahan ng mga pamilya, angkan, at komunidad sa ating lungsod (A single allegation cannot erase the long-standing ties among families, clans, and the community in our city),” the group stated.
The members of the group also called for an end to political attacks, saying that Marikina should remain a city known for dignity, respect, and concern for others.
“Hindi ganito ang Marikina na kinalakihan natin. Bayan tayo ng dangal, respeto, at mabuting pakikitungo sa kapwa, hindi ng walang katapusang paninira. Tama na ang paghihilahan pababa (This is not the Marikina we grew up in. We are a city built on dignity, respect, and kindness toward others, not endless attacks. Enough with pulling each other down),” the group emphasized.
“We stand with and defend Cong. Marcy!,” it stated.
Earlier, Teodoro’s legal counsel, Atty. Alma Mallonga, maintained that the complaints filed against the congressman lack sufficient basis and questioned the circumstances surrounding the resolution issued in the case.
Mallonga also questioned why the resolution was not prepared and signed by the Department of Justice panel that conducted the investigation, but instead by another state prosecutor.
“Ang mga reklamo ay dumaan sa imbestigasyon ng isang DOJ panel na itinatag para dito, na kinabibilangan nina Senior Assistant State Prosecutor Anna Noreen T. Denavadera at Assistant State Prosecutor Ruth Anne P. Zamora (The complaints underwent investigation by a DOJ panel formed for the case, composed of Senior Assistant State Prosecutor Anna Noreen T. Denavadera and Assistant State Prosecutor Ruth Anne P. Zamora),” Mallonga said in a statement on Tuesday.
“Nagkaroon ng mga hearing at natapos ang imbestigasyon mahigit pitong buwan na ang nakalilipas. Kaya nakakagulat na nagkaroon ng isang resolution na hindi ginawa o pinirmahan ng DOJ panel na nagsagawa ng imbestigasyon. Sa halip, ito ay ginawa at pinirmahan ng ibang State Prosecutor (The hearings were conducted, and the investigation was completed more than seven months ago. It was therefore surprising that a resolution was issued that was not prepared or signed by the DOJ panel that conducted the investigation. Instead, it was prepared and signed by another state prosecutor),” she explained.
With this, the legal counsel said, "Dahil dito, makatwirang ipagpalagay na binago ang orihinal na investigation report at recommendation ng DOJ panel na ibasura ang mga reklamo laban kay Cong Marcy (It is reasonable to assume that the original investigation report and recommendation of the DOJ panel to dismiss the complaints against Cong. Marcy were altered).”
Mallonga said Teodoro is innocent and ready to face the full legal process to establish the truth as soon as possible.
“Hindi ito laban para sa sarili lamang niya. Ito ay laban para sa due process, hustisya, at pananagutan. Lalaban si Cong. Marcy (This is not just a fight for himself. It is a fight for due process, justice, and accountability. Cong. Marcy will fight).”