'Where do public funds go?': VP Sara urges Palace to disclose travel authorities, expenses
Duterte says transparency and accountability in government travel spending should apply to all offices
At A Glance
- VP Sara Duterte called for the disclosure of Palace-issued travel authorities.
- She also sought the release of corresponding travel expenses and public funds used.
- Duterte said transparency and accountability should apply to all government offices.
Vice President Sara Duterte has called for the public disclosure of travel authorities issued by the Palace, along with the corresponding travel expenses and public funds used for official trips. (Manila Bulletin/file)
Vice President Sara Duterte has called on the Office of the President to make public the travel authorities it issues, along with the corresponding travel expenses and public funds used by government officials and employees.
In a statement issued Tuesday, August 18, Duterte said transparency and accountability in the use of public funds should apply to all government offices, including the Palace.
“Where do public funds go?” Duterte asked, calling for transparency in government travel spending.
Duterte pointed out that the Office of the President issues travel authorities to various government offices, including its own officials and employees.
“Transparency and accountability should not be demanded from a single government office alone,” Duterte said.
She said the public would benefit from having access to complete information on travel expenses incurred by government offices and officials, particularly the public funds used for such trips.
“In this light, the public would surely appreciate full information on the travel expenses incurred by these offices and officials, including the public funds used for such trips,” she added.
Palace asked to release travel authorities
Duterte called for the disclosure of all travel authorities issued by the Palace, together with the corresponding expenses and public funds involved.
“From hereon, we expect that all travel authorities issued by the Palace, together with the corresponding travel expenses and public funds involved, be made available to the public,” she said.
The statement comes after the Palace earlier confirmed her supposed trip to Japan this week.
Duterte, in a statement released by the Office of the Vice President (OVP), said several reports about her supposed trip to Japan were inaccurate, noting that her “plans have since changed” and that updated information on the matter had been formally submitted to the Office of the President.
READ: