VP Sara says reports on supposed Japan trip 'inaccurate', flags security concerns
At A Glance
- VP Sara Duterte said reports about her supposed Japan trip were inaccurate.
- She said her changed travel plans were formally submitted to the Office of the President.
- Duterte warned that the continued disclosure of her schedule could compromise her personal security.
Vice President Sara Duterte said reports about her supposed trip to Japan were 'inaccurate,' noting that her travel plans had changed and that updated information was formally submitted to the Office of the President. (Manila Bulletin/file)
Vice President Sara Duterte called reports about her supposed trip to Japan “inaccurate,” stressing that her travel plans had changed and that updated information had already been submitted to the Office of the President.
In a statement issued Tuesday, August 18, Duterte said the reports did not reflect her current plans.
“My plans have since changed, and the updated information on this matter was formally submitted to the Office of the President,” Duterte said.
Media urged to ‘verify’ information
Duterte also reminded media organizations and news outlets to verify information before publishing reports, particularly when they concern her schedule and movements.
“I once again remind media organizations and news outlets of the importance of verifying information before publication,” Duterte said.
She said the pursuit of public attention or sensationalizing a story should not come at the expense of accurate reporting.
“The rush to generate public attention or sensationalize a story should never take precedence over the responsibility to report truthfully and accurately,” Duterte said.
She added that publishing unverified information is inconsistent with the principles of responsible journalism.
“Such practices are inconsistent with the principles of responsible journalism,” Duterte said.
According to Duterte, media organizations could have verified the information directly with the Office of the Vice President before publication.
“A simple verification with the Office of the Vice President would have been the rule of thumb for professional media organizations,” she said.
Concern raised over disclosure of schedule
Duterte likewise reiterated her concern over the continued publication or disclosure of her schedule, saying this could compromise her personal security.
She urged the Office of the President to take the matter seriously, warning that the disclosure of her movements could expose her to heightened risks.
“I wish to again remind the Office of the President that the continued publication or disclosure of my schedule is a matter of serious concern, particularly as it compromises my personal security and exposes me to heightened risks,” Duterte said.