Infra fund release expedited, but caution, assessment strictly remain — Palace
President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. holds a press conference at the Malacañan Palace on Sept. 15, 2025 to announce the chair of the newly-created Independent Commission for Infrastructure. (Mark Balmores)
Malacañang said the Marcos administration is keen on resolving issues surrounding infrastructure project implementation, noting that the release of funds has been expedited to ensure the timely completion of various initiatives.
However, the government's eagerness to resolve the infrastructure project backlog does not mean it will skip assessing the projects, said Palace Press Officer and Communications Undersecretary Claire Castro.
"Iyan din naman po ang gustong mangyari at naipangako ni DBM (Department of Budget and Management) Secretary Kim de Leon pero hindi naman dahil sa nagmamadali tayo ay hindi na natin ia-assess or ie-evaluate ang mga programa at mga proyekto na isasagawa sa ngayon (That is also what DBM Secretary Kim de Leon wants to happen and has committed to. However, just because we are trying to expedite the process does not mean that we will no longer assess or evaluate the programs and projects to be implemented)," Castro said in a Palace briefing on Monday, Aug. 17.
"Nandoon pa rin po ang pag-iingat pero mas mabilis na po ang pagri-release ng pondo ngayon basta po mapatunayan lamang na tama po ang proyektong gagawin (We will still exercise caution, but the release of funds is now faster, provided that it can be established that the project to be undertaken is appropriate)," Castro added.
President Marcos recently raised concerns about issues in the implementation of infrastructure projects due to the absorptive capacity of the concerned government agencies and contractors.
According to Castro, the President raised this because it impacted the country’s economic growth as "public spending last year was constrained because the government chose to protect public funds rather than allow them to go toward projects that lacked sufficient basis."
The Palace official said this was identified as a reason why the economy did not grow as much as expected.
"Kaya ngayon po ay puspusan ang pamahalaan sa pamumuno na rin po ng DBM ni Secretary Kim de Leon na dapat ay magkaroon na po ng public spending at ang nangunguna po dito ay patungkol sa imprastraktura (That is why the government, under the leadership of DBM Secretary Kim de Leon, is now pushing for increased public spending, particularly on infrastructure)," Castro said.
"At hindi po kailangang mag-alala, ang sabi nga po ng Pangulo iyan po ang tinitingnan at kailangang balansehin (There is no need to worry. As the President said, this is something that is being closely monitored, and there needs to be a balance)," Castro added.
The Palace spokesperson also noted that the government is forming an Ad Hoc Subcommittee on Project Implementation and Results Monitoring for Infrastructure, as well as the InfraCom, which aims to oversee the process and ensure projects are awarded to the appropriate contractors.