Palace: Marcos not turning a 'blind eye' to calls for justice in dela Rosa arrest row
Malacañang said President Marcos is not turning a blind eye to calls for justice amid criticism over the failure to enforce the International Criminal Court (ICC) arrest warrant against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa.
Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary Claire Castro said this after former Senate President Franklin Drilon criticized government agencies for allegedly passing responsibility to one another during the attempted implementation of the warrant.
“We understand Sen. Drilon’s point of view, but we take a somewhat different stance because the administration only acts in accordance with the law, regulations, and facts,” Castro said on Thursday, May 21.
“We stay focused without acting carelessly,” she added.
Castro stressed that the President remains attentive to demands for accountability and justice, particularly from families of alleged extrajudicial killing victims.
“Hindi pinipikit ng Pangulo ang mga mata niya at nakikinig siya sa mga taong sumisigaw ng hustisya (The President is not closing his eyes and he listens to people crying out for justice),” she said.
“Asahan ang mabilis at legal na aksyon ng gobyerno (Expect fast and legal action from the government),” she added.
Drilon earlier criticized the handling of the attempted arrest of Dela Rosa, saying government agencies appeared to be passing around authority and responsibility.
“It’s a collective failure of leadership,” the former Senate leader said.
He also argued that justice for victims of alleged extrajudicial killings should not be ignored because of technicalities.
The controversy stemmed from last week’s failed attempt to serve an ICC arrest warrant against Dela Rosa inside the Senate complex, which later escalated into a shooting incident and tensions between law enforcement authorities and Senate officials.
Malacañang has repeatedly maintained that government actions are guided by existing laws and due process.