Senators must remember they serve the public, not just one person—Palace
At A Glance
- As the Senate convened as an impeachment court on May 18, 2026, Malacañang has reminded Senators who they are serving—the people and not just one person.
- President Marcos said to "wait and see" over the rumored change in the Senate leadership.
- Vice President Sara Duterte's defense team said it will comply and file appropriate response in accordance with the Constitution and applicable rules, following the convening of the impeachment court.
Senators take their oath as the impeachment court convenes at the Senate in Pasay City on May 18, 2026 for the impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte. (Mark Balmores)
Malacañang has reminded senators, who will serve as judges for Vice President Sara Duterte's impeachment trial, to remember that they are serving the people and not one person alone.
Palace Press Officer and Communications Undersecretary Claire Castro refused on Monday, May 18, to judge whether the Senate is a credible body to serve as an impeachment court, considering that some senators are currently facing cases before the Ombudsman.
"Hindi natin mabibigyan ng anumang panghuhusga sa ngayon ang mga magiging senator-judges; nasa kanila po iyan. Tandaan lamang po nila na sila ay halal ng bayan (We cannot make any judgment right now about the senator-judges; that is up to them. They should just remember that they were elected by the people)," Castro said in a Palace briefing.
"Noong sila ay nangangampanya, nangako sila na sila ay magsisilbi para sa taumbayan, hindi para sa iisang tao lamang (When they campaigned, they promised to serve the public, not just one person)," Castro added.
The Palace spokesperson also expressed hope that they would not be the reason "for someone who should be held accountable to escape responsibility."
She reiterated that President Marcos does not need to interfere in the Senate’s mandate, citing the separation of powers.
"Alam naman po natin na ang impeachment trial ay trabaho po ito at mandato po ito ng Senado. Hindi po kailangan na makialam ang Pangulo sa sinabing mandato ng Senado dahil mayroon po tayong separation of powers (As we know, the impeachment trial is the duty and mandate of the Senate. There is no need for the President to interfere in the Senate’s mandate because we have separation of powers)," Castro said.
"Ang dapat lang po sigurong lagi nating tandaan, hindi lamang ang Senado, hindi lang sa Senado at senador, kundi tayo mismong mga Pilipino – ang dapat na managot ayon nga sa Pangulo ay dapat na managot. So, huwag na lamang siguro maging daan ang sinuman sa pagtakas ng mga dapat na managot (What we should always remember, not only the Senate and the senators, but we Filipinos ourselves, is that those who should be held accountable, as the President said, must be held accountable. So perhaps no one should become a means for those who must answer for their actions to escape responsibility)," Castro added.
The Palace official also distanced Malacañang from the possible change of leadership in the Senate anew, saying it is their "own internal matter."
She also stressed that the President has nothing to do with it if a change in leadership happens again.
"So, wala naman pong kinalaman ang Pangulo kung magpapalit sila ng liderato o hindi. So, sa kanila po iyan, nasa Senado po iyan (The change in Senate leadership is their own internal matter. So, the President has nothing to do with whether they change their leadership or not. That is up to them — it is within the Senate’s authority)," Castro said.
'Wait and see'
In a brief ambush interview in Mandaluyong City on Monday afternoon, Marcos was also asked about the possible change in the Senate leadership, ahead of the impeachment trial against his former ally.
"I guess we just have to wait and see," he said when sought for a reaction.
He also said he saw what happened last week in the Senate, where multiple gunshots were fired within the building, but did not make further comment.
The Senate convened as an impeachment court on Monday afternoon. Although the number of minority senators increased, no change of leadership was initiated.
Comply and file
Duterte's camp, on the other hand, noted that the Senate has convened as an impeachment court and that a summons will be issued in due course.
They said Duterte's side will comply and file the appropriate response, but refrained from issuing further statements.
"We will comply and file the appropriate response in accordance with the Constitution and applicable rules," Duterte's defense team said.
"At this stage, and out of respect for the process, we find it prudent to refrain from further comment," they added.