Marcos still trusts Remulla amid replacement calls—Palace
At A Glance
- Malacañang said President Marcos has not lost trust in Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla.
- The Palace declined to comment on calls to replace the DILG chief.
- Malacañang also dismissed rumors that former officials may soon take over the department.
Malacañang said President Marcos continues to trust Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla despite growing calls for his replacement following a series of controversies involving the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).
During a Palace press briefing on Monday, May 18, Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary Claire Castro said there have been no discussions so far regarding proposals to remove Remulla from his post.
“Wala pa pong anumang makukomento sa panawagang iyan. Hindi po ito napag-uusapan sa ngayon (We have no comment yet on that call. It is not being discussed at the moment),” she said when asked about calls to replace the DILG chief.
She added that she has not seen any indication that the President had lost confidence in Remulla.
“Wala naman po akong nakitaan na natanggal ang tiwala ng Pangulo kay Secretary Jonvic Remulla sa ngayon (I have not seen any indication that the President has lost trust in Secretary Jonvic Remulla at this point),” Castro said.
The Palace Press Officer made the remark after being asked about controversies involving the DILG, including the shooting incident at the Senate last week and inaccurate information linked to the fugitive Zaldy Co.
Questions were also raised about the supposed release of an Interpol notice and reports concerning Co’s alleged Portuguese passport and golden visa.
Rumors denied
The Palace official also denied knowledge of rumors that former senator Antonio Trillanes IV or former Interior secretary Benhur Abalos could replace Remulla as DILG secretary.
“Wala pa pong ganoong ibinibigay sa ating mga impormasyon (We have not received any information like that),” Castro said.
The issue emerged after criticism against the DILG intensified following the Senate shooting incident tied to tensions surrounding the reported International Criminal Court (ICC) arrest warrant against Sen. Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa.
Remulla earlier clarified that his presence at the Senate during the incident was solely to ensure the safety of senators and not to arrest dela Rosa.