Marcos names Kim de Leon new DBM chief; youngest budget secretary in history
At A Glance
- President Marcos appointed DBM Undersecretary Kim Robert De Leon as the new Budget Secretary.
- De Leon becomes the youngest Budget chief in the department's history.
- Former acting Budget secretary Rolando Toledo will be appointed to the GSIS Board of Trustees.
President Marcos has appointed Department of Budget and Management (DBM) Undersecretary Kim Robert de Leon as the country’s new Budget Secretary, making him the youngest person to head the agency.
Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary Claire Castro announced De Leon’s appointment during a Palace press briefing on Monday, May 18.
“Kim Robert De Leon is the new secretary of the Department of Budget and Management, becoming the youngest member of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.'s Cabinet,” she said.
According to Castro, De Leon is expected to take his oath of office on Tuesday, May 19.
Career public servant
The Palace described De Leon, 32, as a career public servant known for his work in fiscal management, organizational reform, and digital transformation.
Before his promotion, De Leon handled the DBM’s Organization and Systems Improvement Group and Information and Communications Technology Group.
He also previously served as undersecretary for administration and finance at the Department of Transportation.
De Leon graduated magna cum laude and valedictorian from the University of the Philippines-National College of Public Administration and Governance (UP-NCPAG) with a degree in public administration.
He also topped the 2016 Environmental Planning Licensure Examination.
The new DBM chief holds a Master of Arts in Urban and Regional Planning from UP and a Master of Public Safety Administration from the Philippine Public Safety College.
According to the Palace, De Leon also obtained a certificate in business process management from the Queensland University of Technology in 2021 under the Australia Awards scholarship program.
Replaces Toledo
De Leon replaced acting Budget Secretary Rolando Toledo, who took over the department following the departure of former DBM Secretary Amenah Pangandaman.
Pangandaman stepped down after her name surfaced in the controversy surrounding the alleged multi-billion peso flood control scam, although she denied involvement in any irregularities linked to supposed ghost or substandard flood control projects.
Meanwhile, Castro said Toledo would be appointed to the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) Board of Trustees as representative of organizations or associations of government employee retirees.