2 NPA leaders among 5 fatalities in Negros Occidental gun battle
TWO high-ranking leaders of the New People’s Army (NPA) were among the five fatalities in a series of encounters with the Army 15th Infantry Battalion (IB) in Barangay Abaca and Poblacion, Cauayan, Negros Occidental on Saturday, May 16. (Photo via K5 News FM Kabankalan)
BACOLOD CITY – Two high-ranking leaders of the New People’s Army (NPA) were among the five fatalities in the series of encounters with the Army 15th Infantry Battalion (IB) in Barangay Abaca and Poblacion, Cauayan, Negros Occidental on Saturday, May 16.
Brig. Gen. Jason Jumawan, commander of 302nd Infantry Brigade (IBde), identified the slain rebels as Rolando Dantes, Jobert Casipong, Gilbert Tingson, Alex Languita, and Vince Francis Dingding.
Jumawan said that Dantes was an alleged notorious hitman and commander of the dismantled South West Front (SWF-D) reportedly responsible for the liquidation of civilians in Cauayan, Kabankalan City, and Sipalay City in Negros Occidental.
He added that Dantes, based on police records, had multiple arrest warrants for murder and multiple murder.
Jumawan said that Dantes was behind the killing of a barangay official in Cauayan and an elderly woman in Kabankalan City last year.
He said that Dingding was an alleged political instructor of the group.
Jumawan said the bodies of the slain rebels have yet to be claimed by their families.
Aside from the five fatalities, Jumawan said that another rebel was severely wounded and recuperating in a hospital. Jumawan said he identified some of the fatalities.
Jumawan said the wounded rebel was administered first aid by troops and transported to a hospital.
The encounter occurred in Barangay Poblacion, Cauayan at 5 p.m. while troopers were pursuing remnants of the SWF from the initial firefight that transpired at 5:30 a.m. in Barangay Abaca.
Jumawan said the late afternoon firefight lasted for about 30 minutes and despite being told to surrender, the communist rebels allegedly continued firing at soldiers.
“It is unfortunate that fellow Filipinos have died, but our mission is to protect the communities from the threat,” he added.
Jumawan said the incident showed the dwindling support of the people to the NPA since they reported their presence in the area. “They are tired to be scared,” he added.
He said the incident will weaken the group and urged remaining communist rebels to surrender.
“It’s okay to protest, to make their issues known, but don’t carry firearms and use it against the government and the people. Mali po iyon (that is wrong),” Jumawan said.
Meanwhile, the series of clashes displaced 64 families or 168 individuals in Barangays Abaca and Poblacion.
Jumawan said the local government has extended assistance to affected families who underwent stress debriefing and awareness campaign.
He said that some families returned home on Sunday, May 17, after these areas were cleared by authorities.