PNP sees no credible threat of 'military-backed People Power' amid rumors
PNP Chief, Police General Jose Melencio C. Nartatez Jr. (PNP FB)
The Philippine National Police (PNP) confirmed Tuesday, April 28, that it has found no validated intelligence information pointing to a supposed “military-backed People Power” movement amid rumors circulating online.
PNP Chief, Police General Jose Melencio C. Nartatez Jr. said the police force is on alert but sees no imminent threat, noting such reports remain unverified and should not alarm the public.
“The PNP maintains a high level of alertness but as of now, we have no validated intelligence indicating a credible, imminent threat of a military-backed movement. We treat these reports as rumors until proven otherwise,” he said.
Nartatez issued the statement after Senator Panfilo Lacson, a former PNP chief himself, downplayed concerns over a possible uprising linked to tensions between President Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. and Vice President Sara Duterte.
Lacson, now the Senate Pro-Tempore, acknowledged reports that some groups are attempting to recruit from the ranks of active uniformed personnel.
The senator has warned against any unconstitutional move to force political change. He said grievances such as corruption must be addressed through legal and democratic means.
The term “People Power” recalls the mass uprisings that toppled then-leaders Ferdinand Marcos Jr. in 1986 and Joseph Estrada in 2001.
Marcos Sr. was ousted after mass protests backed by sections of the military erupted nationwide. During EDSA II, Estrada was also removed from power amid corruption allegations.
In response, Nartatez stressed that the police force remains focused on its constitutional mandate and will not be drawn into political speculation or partisan narratives.
“Our loyalty is to the Constitution and the Filipino people, not to any political faction. Ang trabaho namin ay siguraduhin ang kaayusan sa kalsada at komunidad. We remain professional and focused on our anti-crime mandate,” he said.
He also stressed continued coordination with the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) as both institutions, according to Nartatez, remain aligned with the chain of command.
“Both organizations are committed to the chain of command and the stability of the administration,” Nartatez concluded.
The Marcos administration has persistently faced rumors of a coup amid issues of corruption in the government.
The AFP, on the other hand, has yet to react on the latest rumor but it previously denied supporting such initiatives, emphasizing that the uniformed service remains focused on its constitutional mission to protect the country and the people.