Issuance of VP Sara's travel clearance shouldn't be an issue as it wasn't declined—Palace
PCO Undersecretary Claire Castro and Vice President Sara Duterte
Malacañang said the issuance of a travel authority for Vice President Sara Duterte's supposed trips to Europe and South Korea should not be an issue, as her requests have never been declined.
Palace Press Officer and Communications Undersecretary Claire Castro said on Thursday, April 23, that the issuance of travel authority, allowing Duterte to travel to the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Korea from April 23 to May 15, was not a "last-minute decision."
Travel clearance for government officials, including the Vice President, is normally given a day before, Castro added.
"Ang Bise Presidente ayon naman po sa records ay nakakatanggap po ng dokumento para sa travel authority niya a day before her intended vacation. So, hindi naman po siya tinanggihan. Wala pa sa record na kapag siya ay nag-request ng pagbabakasyon or personal trip ng mahabang araw o mahaba na panahon na siya ay tinanggihan (According to records, the Vice President receives the document for her travel authority a day before her intended vacation. So, she has not been denied. There is no record showing that any of her requests for a long vacation or personal trip have ever been rejected)," Castro stressed in a Palace briefing.
"So, para sabihin na last minute resolution or decision ito, hindi po ganoon. Dahil iyon po palagi, normally nangyayari po ang pagbibigay sa kanya ng travel authority a day before (So, to say that this is a last-minute resolution or decision is not accurate. This is because issuing her travel authority a day before has been the usual practice)," Castro pointed out.
On Wednesday night, April 22, Malacañang confirmed that Duterte requested a travel clearance to visit several countries, and a clearance was granted to her on the same day.
On Thursday morning, her supposed departure day, Duterte said there had been a change of plans due to the late issuance of the travel authority.
Duterte also called for stricter handling protocols to ensure confidentiality in official communications, noting that proper document management is critical to maintaining effective security measures.
Castro, however, argued that Duterte's foreign trips should not be concealed, considering that she is a public servant.
"Siya po ay isang public servant, hindi po siya pribado, hindi po maitatago ang mga bagay-bagay na nais niyang itago. May mga bagay na dapat nalalaman ng publiko dahil siya ay isang public servant (She is a public servant, she is not a private individual, so the things she may want to keep hidden cannot simply be concealed. There are matters that the public has a right to know because she is a public servant)," Castro countered.
The Palace mouthpiece also questioned the timing of the Vice President's request for a personal travel amid the crisis in the Middle East, and in the midst of allegations thrown at her in an impeachment hearing.
"Kung kayo ang tatanungin, kung kayo ang Bise Presidente, nararapat ba na magbakasyon, kung iyan po ang nais niya na magbakasyon at mag-world tour, ibigay ang hilig, considering na wala naman siyang, wala rin namang precautionary hold departure order (If you were to be asked, if you were the Vice President, would it be appropriate to go on vacation, if that is what she wants, to go on a world tour and indulge her interests, considering that she has no precautionary hold departure order)?" Castro said.
According to Castro, processing the issuance of travel authority normally takes five working days. Duterte applied for the clearance on April 14.
Issuance of a travel authority can be expedited, Castro added, but "it is not that easy," adding the same process applies to all government officials.
'She won't be prevented to travel'
In case the Vice President applies for another travel permit, which she confirmed in her earlier statement, Castro said she will not be prevented from doing so.
"Hindi naman po natin pipigilan ang Bise Presidente, sa kanyang paglalakbay at maliban lamang siguro kung mayroon precautionary hold departure order. Tingnan din natin kung ano ang kanyang magiging reaksyon kapag siya naisyuhan ng ganyan (We will not prevent the Vice President from traveling, except perhaps if there is a precautionary hold departure order is issued. We will then see how she reacts if such an order is imposed on her)," Castro said.
Asked if President Marcos has the authority to prevent Duterte from traveling overseas or question it, Castro said they will grant her request.
"Sabi nga natin, ibigay ang ibigay ang hilig nang walang ligalig (As we say, give in to one's desires without trouble)," Castro said.