Atong Ang files pleading on 'possible inclusion' as accused in case of 'missing sabungeros' in Manila
Fugitive businessman Charlie “Atong” Ang, through his lawyer, filed a pleading before the Department of Justice (DOJ) on Monday, March 23, on his “inclusion” as accused in the 2022 disappearance of six “sabungeros” or cockfight enthusiasts in Manila.
Earlier, Ang had been ordered arrested by three regional trial courts (RTCs) in Laguna and Batangas on charges of kidnapping with homicide and kidnapping with serious illegal detention also in the cases of “missing sabungeros.”
He has not surrendered nor been arrested and remained at large as of posting time.
Lawyer Gabriel Villareal, Ang’s legal counsel, was at the DOJ and filed a pleading in connection with the kidnapping and serious illegal detention now under trial before the Manila RTC.
Ang’s inclusion in the Manila case was based on the “recanted” testimony of whistle blower Julie Patidongan, Villareal said.
Charged before the Manila RTC are Mark Carlo Zabala, Virgilio Bayog, Roberto Matillano Jr., Gleer Codilla, and Johnry Consolacion.
They were accused of kidnapping and serious illegal detention in connection with the disappearance of “sabungeros” from the Manila Arena -- identified as John Claude Inonog, Mark Joseph Velasco, Marlon Baccay, James Baccay, Rowel Gomez, and Rondel Cristorum.
“After today, I understand, the matter is now submitted for resolution, to be resolved by the Department of Justice whether or not to include Ang as an accused in the ongoing trial before the Manila regional trial court,” said Villareal who claimed he has not talked to Ang since the arrest warrants were issued against the businessman.
Villareal explained that the pleading he filed on behalf of Ang was in response “to allegations that are meant to include him in an ongoing criminal case involving the abduction of what’s known as the ‘Inonog group.’”
He said: “The accusation against Mr. Ang is anchored on a recantation affidavit of Julie Patidongan. He came and filed an affidavit recanting his earlier affidavit that denies any involvement in the Manila case. He recanted that in an affidavit, saying that the so-called mastermind in the Manila abductions is Mr. Ang.”
Villareal lamented that the recantation was made after the prosecution finished its presentation during the trial at the Manila RTC.
“‘Yung nagsara na ‘yung Manila case, si Patidongan applied for witness protection para maalis s’ya doon sa Manila case. Para maalis siya doon sa Manila case, part of his commitment under the witness protection agreement was to implicate Mr. Ang (When the prosecution finished the presentation of evidence, Patidongan applied for witness protection to be removed as an accused in the Manila case. Part of his commitment under the witness protection agreement was to implicate Mr. Ang),” he said.
He also claimed that during the trial, “DOJ po ng nag-presinta ng ebidensya laban kay Julie Patidongan (DOJ presented evidence against Patidongan)” and “DOJ ang nag-presinta ng ebidensya na walang kinalaman si Mr. Ang doon sa Manila (DOJ presented evidence that Ang had nothing to do with the Manila case).”