BI takes custody of American 'fugitive' charged with rape, acts of lasciviousness in Cebu City
A “fugitive” American national, who has an arrest warrant in his country and has also been charged with rape and acts of lasciviousness involving a minor in Cebu City, is now under the custody of the Bureau of Immigration (BI).
The BI identified the American as Wayne Barbosa, 73, who was taken into custody by the bureau last Feb. 27 from the Cebu City jail.
It said that Barbosa has an arrest warrant issued by the United States District Court in Massachusetts for failure of a sex offender to report for an intended international trip.
In the Philippines, the BI said that “Barboza was previously arrested in Cebu in March 2024 based on warrant issued by a Regional Trial Court for rape and acts of lasciviousness involving a minor.”
It also said that the American previously attempted to leave the Philippines in January 2024 but was barred due to a Hold Departure Order (HDO) issued by the Cebu court.
It added that there are four other victims in Cebu City but have declined to file complaints against Barbosa.
At the same time, the BI said that Barbosa has not filed any application for visa extension or conversion and is considered an overstaying alien.