Red and Pink?: Marcos, Robredo to meet in Naga on Feb. 21; Palace says 2028 polls not yet on President's mind
President Ferdinand 'Bongbong' Marcos Jr. and Naga City Mayor former vice president Leni Robredo (File photos)
Malacañang confirmed that President Marcos will visit Naga City on Feb. 21, where he is set to meet former Vice President and now Naga City Mayor Leni Robredo for a flood mitigation project, even as the Palace stressed that the 2028 elections are not on the President’s mind.
Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary Claire Castro said this amid online suggestions that the two former rivals should team up for the 2028 polls following Vice President Sara Duterte’s announcement that she would run for president in the next presidential elections.
In a press briefing on Friday, Feb. 19, Castro said the visit is part of the administration’s flood mitigation efforts.
“Nabanggit ko po kanina sa ating good news, iyong Oplan Kontra Baha ay pinasimulan na po sa Naga City ng ating Pangulo (I mentioned earlier in our good news that Oplan Kontra Baha has already been initiated by the President in Naga City),” she said.
She said the President will inspect the ongoing clearing operations by the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
“Busy po ngayon ang kawani ng DPWH para linisin ang mga kanal, ang estero at ang ilog sa Naga City. Iyan po ang bibisitahin ng ating Pangulo (DPWH personnel are currently busy cleaning canals, esteros, and the river in Naga City. That is what the President will visit),” she said.
Castro confirmed that Marcos and Robredo will be together during the visit.
“Totoo po na bibisita po siya at makakasama niya po ang mayor, Leni Robredo, ng Naga City sa Feb. 21, Sabado (It is true that he will visit and he will be with Mayor Leni Robredo of Naga City on Feb. 21, Saturday),” she said.
Asked if other matters would be discussed between the two leaders, Castro replied: “Iyan ang abangan ninyo (That’s what you should watch out for)."
This was not the first time Marcos and Robredo, former rivals in the 2016 vice-presidential race and in the 2022 elections, met in a public event. The two exchanged pleasantries at the inauguration ceremony of the Sorsogon Sports Arena in October 2024.
‘No politics yet’
Cstro, however, downplayed suggestions that the meeting could signal political realignments ahead of the 2028 elections. She likewise brushed off speculations that the administration is “courting” Robredo.
“Ang kulay na sinuot ko ngayon ay wala pong kaugnayan sa anumang politika (The color I’m wearing has nothing to do with politics),” she said when teased about wearing pink.
She reiterated that politics is not the administration’s focus at this time.
“Wala pa po sa isipan ng Pangulo at ng administrasyon na ito ang patungkol sa pamumulitika o humanap ng sinumang kandidato para sa 2028 (The President and this administration are not thinking about politics or looking for any candidate for 2028),” Castro said.
“Sa ngayon po, ang tutok po ng Pangulo ay trabaho… ayusin ang mga isyu patungkol sa baha at ang pag-angat po ng ekonomiya ng bansa (For now, the President’s focus is work… fixing flood issues and improving the country’s economy),” she added.
The Palace Press Officer also said discussions about possible alliances for 2028 are premature.
“Hindi pa po kasi panahon ngayon, napakaaga po pa kasi para tayo ay mag-announce na ika’y tatakbo o hindi. Napakaaga para mamulitika (It is not yet time; it is too early to announce whether one will run or not. It is too early to engage in politics),” she said.
VP Sara’s early announcement
The Palace maintained that Vice President Sara Duterte’s early declaration of her intent to run for president in 2028 will not affect governance.
“Maaapektuhan ba ng isang bise presidente na nag-announce lamang siya na siya ay tatakbo ang pagtatrabaho ng Pangulo? (Will the President’s work be affected just because a vice president announced she will run?)” Castro said.
“Hindi po maaapektuhan ang focus ng Pangulo para maiangat ang ekonomiya ng bansa, maiangat ang buhay ng bawat Pilipino, at masolusyunan ang isyu sa baha (The President’s focus on improving the economy, uplifting the lives of Filipinos, and solving flood issues will not be affected),” she added.
Castro also denied that the administration felt threatened by Duterte’s announcement and endorsements from allies.
“Ang Pangulo masisindak? Hindi naman po kasindak-sindak iyong pag-a-announce na siya ay tatakbo sa pagkapangulo (Will the President be intimidated? Announcing that she will run for president is not something to be intimidated by),” she said.
“Kung ang iisipin lamang ng Pangulo natin ay ang mga sinasabi ng Bise Presidente, hindi na tatakbo ang gobyernong ito (If the President will only focus on what the Vice President says, this government will not function),” she added.
Castro likewise refused to speculate on Duterte’s motive for announcing her candidacy early.
“Siya po tanungin ninyo. Hindi ko po alam ang kaniyang utak (Ask her. I do not know what’s in her mind),” she said.
Makabayan, alliance talk
Castro also dismissed comments from the Makabayan bloc that Duterte’s early presidential bid could be meant to pressure lawmakers amid impeachment complaints.
However, she said members of the House of Representatives should not be cowed by a declaration of candidacy.
“Hindi naman po siguro sila ganoon kaduwag para lang matakot dahil nagdeklara lang ang isang tao na siya’y tatakbo sa pagkapresidente (Surely they are not so cowardly as to be afraid just because someone declared she will run for president),” she said.
As for the possibility of alliances involving opposition figures against Duterte in 2028, Castro maintained that no such discussions have taken place.
“Wala po kasi talagang napag-uusapan tungkol sa pangangampanya o kung sinuman ang magiging kandidato sa 2028 (There have been no discussions about campaigning or who will be candidates in 2028),” she said.
For now, the Palace said, the President remains focused on governance rather than politics.