Ex-DPWH Sec Bonoan files counter-affidavit in plunder charge
Former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) secretary Manuel M. Bonoan submitted to the Department of Justice (DOJ) on Monday, Feb. 16, his counter-affidavit on the plunder charge filed against him in the flood control mess.
The filing of the counter-affidavit was confirmed by Bonoan himself who is facing the plunder charge as co-respondent of Sen. Jinggoy Ejercito Estrada who is expected to submit his counter-affidavit on Feb. 23.
Bonoan, however, did not discuss the contents of his counter-affidavit in a very brief meeting with journalists.
He merely said that he filed his counter-affidavit early because he has intention to go to the United States for the scheduled medical operation of his wife.
When asked if he sought permission for his travel from the DOJ, Bonoan answered in the affirmative. “Yes, nagpaalam na kami (yes we have sought permission,” he said.
Bonoan returned to the Philippines last Jan. 18 after he and his wife left for the US on Nov. 11, 2025.
Prior to leaving for the US last year, Bonoan said he also sought permission from the DOJ to take the trip.
Bonoan has been placed in an Immigration Lookout Bulletin Order (ILBO) which tasked the Bureau of Immigration (BI) to monitor his travels after having been tagged in the anomalous government flood control projects.