DOJ to closely monitor movements abroad of ex-DPWH Sec Bonoan
The government will closely monitor the movements abroad of former Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) secretary Manuel M. Bonoan, the Department of Justice (DOJ) said on Wednesday, Nov. 12.
The DOJ had earlier confirmed that Bonoan left the Philippines with his wife last Tuesday afternoon, Nov. 11.
DOJ Spokesperson and Prosecution Attorney Raphael Niccolo L. Martinez assured that the DOJ will be monitoring Bonoan’s movement in the United States and other countries he may intend to go.
Among other issues, the Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) has recommended to the Office of the Ombudsman the investigation of Bonoan for his alleged involvement in the “anomalous” P72.3 million flood control project in Bulacan.
The project, located in Barangay Bagong Silang (Purok 4), involved the construction of a riverbank protection structure.
“The project was never constructed at the designated location in the approved bid plans, thus, not implemented,” ICI Chairman and retired Supreme Court (SC) associate justice Andres Reyes Jr. had previously said.
Martinez said that Bonoan has an Immigration Lookout Bulletin Order (ILBO) issued by the DOJ.
He said the “ILBO guarantees that every movement of any citizen who is under the ILBO will be monitored and reported to the proper authorities.”
But he explained that only a hold departure order (HDO) issued by the courts can prevent a person from leaving the country.
Since Bonoan has no pending cases in courts, “we could not stop his departure.”
He said that Bonoan advised the DOJ of his travel abroad to accompany his wife who will undergo some medical procedures in the US.
“So, we have been advised and it was reported that the procedure or the medical needs will be until Dec. 17 at which time he will be returning to the Philippines,” he also said.