OSG to 'start seizure of assets, cancellation of birth certificates' of foreign POGO workers
The Office of the Solicitor General (OSG) will start the seizure of the "illegally acquired assets" of foreigners involved with Philippine Offshore Gaming Operators (POGOs) and the cancellation of their "fraudulently acquired birth certificates."
Solicitor General Menardo I. Guevarra said on Wednesday, Jan. 1, that the twin moves are part of the efforts in implementing the total ban of POGOs in the country as declared by President Marcos last July.
“The OSG’s massive post-POGO tasks will consist of cancelling all certificates of birth fraudulently acquired by aliens/foreign nationals and forfeiting their illegally acquired real properties and other assets in the philippines," Guevarra said.
So far, Guevarra admitted “we have no definite figures on the aggregate value of these assets."
“The first order of the day is to take possession of and control over them,” he declared.
Last November, the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) asked the OSG to cancel over 1,500 birth certificates that are believed to be fraudulently acquired by foreigners, a number of whom have been involved in POGOs.