
Fifty-nine persons deprived of liberty (PDLs) were released from the Correctional Institution for Women (CIW) in Mandaluyong City from Aug. 1 to 31, 2022.
The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) said that those freed were PDLs who had been granted parole and probation, had been acquitted of their criminal charges, and whose jail terms had expired through credits under the Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA) law.
GCTA credits for good behavior during detention shorten the period of the jail term of a PDL.
In a press statement, BuCor said: “Under the guidance of BuCor Director General Gerald Q. Bantag and the support of CIW Acting Superintendent, CTSSupt. Hylene C. Pancho, the CIW Management Screening and Evaluation Committee is persuasive in reviewing, evaluating, and screening prison records of PDLs to ensure the timely computation of their GCTA credits under Republic Act No. 10592.”
BuCor said those freed from CIW were part of the 612 PDLs released for the month of August 2022 from various prison facilities managed by the bureau.
BuCor Public Information Office Chief, Corrections Chief Supt. Julie May C. Taguiam, had said the bureau has been taking efforts to decongest its prison facilities.
Taguiam said one of the efforts is the weekly submission to the Board of Pardons and Parole (BPP) the prison records of around 500 PDLs recommended for release.