Twelve inmates, including five who had been acquitted of their criminal charges, have been released from the Correctional Institute for Women (CIW) in Mandaluyong City.
In a statement, the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) said those released were freed last July 12 and 15 after CIW Chief Corrections TSSupt. Virginia S. Mangawit signed their certificates of discharge on orders of BuCor Director General Gerald Q. Bantag.
One of those released had been granted parole while the six others had finished serving their jail terms, BuCor said.
“They engaged in a culminating activity with the theme ‘Pagbabalik, Pagbabago, at Pagtanggap sa Malayang Lipunan’ before ultimately being released from CIW,” it said.
It also said: “They were given gratuities to use as transportation back to their respective residences. Swab tests were performed to ensure their safe return to their families, and the External Affairs Section officers successfully handed them recommendation letters for career chances.”
Last month, the BuCor released a total of 565 persons deprived of liberty (PDLs) from its seven prison facilities in the country.