'Let the people's welfare' inspire lawyers in arguing vs anti-terror law
Lawyers of petitioners participating in Tuesday’s, February 2, oral arguments before the Supreme Court (SC) on the Anti-Terrorism Act (ATA) have been reminded to let the people’s welfare be their inspiration.
“Let not the Constitution and the law be your only master, nor conscience your only guide and justice your only aim,” National Union of People’s Lawyers (NUPL) president Edre Olalia said in a statement.

“But let the rights, interests and welfare of the people out there in the real world especially the multitudes who stand to be terrorized be your inspiration,” he stressed.
Thirty-seven petitions against the alleged unconstitutionality of ATA have been set for oral arguments starting at 2:30 p.m. today. All the petitions sought the nullification of the law under Republic Act No. 11479.
Most of the petitions pleaded for the issuance of a temporary restraining order (TRO) that would stop the law’s implementation that started last July 18.
Only the SC justices, the designated government lawyers and counsel of petitioners, and the amicus curiae (friend of the court) are allowed physically inside the full court session hall.
Members of the media can monitor the proceedings inside the session hall through screens set up at the lobby of the SC.
The SC had originally set the oral arguments sometime in September last year but it decided to postpone the schedule to Jan. 19 due to various petitions filed.
Later the SC moved the schedule again to Feb. 2 on request of Solicitor General Jose C. Calida who manifested that some members of his staff who would attend the oral arguments had been infected with the corona virus disease.
Last week, the SC appointed its retired member, then Associate Justice Francis H. Jardeleza – also a former deputy Ombudsman and solicitor general -- to act as a friend of the court so he could share his knowledge and expertise on ATA.
The petitioners will be represented during the oral arguments by former Solicitor General Jose Anselmo Cadiz, Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman, former Bayan Muna party-list Rep. Neri Colmenares, Free Legal Assistance Group (FLAG) chairman Jose Manuel “Chel” Diokno, Alfredo Molo III, Evalyn Ursua, and Algmar Latiph,
Their alternates are former SC spokesperson Theodore Te, NUPL secretary general Ephraim Cortez, NUPL spokesperson Josalee Deinla, Randall Tabayoyong, Howard Calleja, and Batuas Lucman.
On the other side, Solicitor General Jose Calida will be representing the government and will be accompanied by Assistant Solicitors General Marissa Dela Cruz-Galandines, Bernard Hernandez and Rex Bernardo Pascual.
In his statement, Olalia also told lawyers to “stand tall for not taking it sitting down” and “show by good example why being lawyer can still be a noble profession despite disappointments and the dishonorable that disgrace our ranks.”
“Yet riding out the storm after a long and tortuous journey is but another big step in our common and collective quest for justice, truth, fairness and reason,” he said.
“There is still so much to restore, repair, replace and renew,” he added.
Whatever happens, Olalia told them that they have “already inspired and earned the people's admiration and gratitude as their legal gladiators.”