Bren Esports coach Duckeyyy on M2: ‘Pressure is definitely out of the equation’

Published January 18, 2021, 9:25 PM

by Jeremiah Sevilla

Photo from Bren Esports’ Facebook page

Armed with championship pedigree and vast experience, Bren Esports coach Francis “Duckeyyy” Glindro is strongly confident of their winning chances in the M2 Mobile Legends: Bang Bang World Championship in Singapore. 

“One of our biggest advantages for sure is our wide tournament experience. Pressure is definitely out of the equation,” Duckeyyy told the Manila Bulletin

Bren, widely known for its #BrenLangMalakas battlecry, is indeed no stranger to highly-competitive tournaments, be it local or international. 

Most notably, the black and yellow squad ruled the MPL Philippines Season 6 and successfully defended its title in The Nationals Season 2 after a runner-up finish in the ONE Esports MPL Invitational. 

Four Bren stalwarts in captain-mage/support Angelo “Pheww” Arcangel, carry Karl “KarlTzy” Nepomuceno, tank Allan “Lusty” Castromayor and sidelaner CJ “Ribo” Ribo were part of the national team Sibol that snared the gold medal against Indonesia in the 2019 Southeast Asian Games while sidelaner David “FlapTzy” Canon was named Rookie of the Year of MPL-PH in 2020. 

Duckeyyy himself is a legitimate winner, steering EVOS Legends’ championship runs in M1 and MPL Indonesia Season 4. 

Bren also has veterans Mico “Coco” Sampang and EJ “Ejhay” Sambrano to provide valuable inputs even if they do not see action in the tourney.

“My team is composed of individualistic characters. While teamwork is in play, decision-making on the individual level will be the make-or-break factor.”

Read: Bren’s Duckeyyy, Pheww cleared of COVID-19 ahead of M2 in Singapore

The renowned ML mentor said they are all set to take on any opponent in the 12-team tournament staking a champion’s prize of $140,000 (over P6.7 million). 

“So far, we are 90 percent ready. The other 10 percent is just setting up the proper mindset for the matches. We are pretty much prepared to go against any team right now.” 

Read: Bren, Omega ready for big challenge in P14M M2 World Championship

Duckeyyy’s confidence is definitely running high despite the fact that Bren is in what the pundits see as the “Group of Death”. 

Bren starts its Group C campaign on Tuesday, January 19 against 10S Gaming Frost of Japan at 2 p.m. before heading to a grudge match at 6 p.m. versus Indonesia’s Alter Ego Esports, which swept them in the grand finals of the MPLI last month. 

“I want to thank everyone who has been supporting us up until this point. We hope to make you all proud and if we don’t, I hope we can at least bring you excitement,” said Duckeyyy.