An estimated 10,000 individuals were affected by Typhoon “Quinta” in southern Luzon and northernmost part of the country, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said on Monday.
NDRRMC spokesman Mark Timbal said 1,503 families or 5,704 individuals were pre-emptively evacuated and are currently staying in various evacuation centers in Bicol Region (Region 5), Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon or Region 4A), Mimaropa (Occidental Mindoro, Oriental Mindoro, Romblon, Palawan or Region 4B), and Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR).
Some 968 families or 3,524 individuals also fled their homes but opted to go to their relatives and to areas which are not prone to flood, landslide, storm surge, and lahar, he added.
As of Monday noon, the NDRRMC has yet to receive a report of any casualty related to Quinta.
“So far we have not received any information on deaths caused by Quinta,” Timbal said.
However, 12 fishermen were reported missing at the height of the bad weather in Catanduanes.
The fishermen have yet to be identified but Timbal said they hail from Barangay Pananogan in Bato town, Barangay Cagdarao in Panganiban town, and Barangay Poblacion District 3 in Gigmoto town.
A yacht identified as MV Oceanic Explorer 3 capsized at around 7 a.m. in Bauan, Batangas due to bad weather, Timbal said.
He said a search and rescue (SAR) team from the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) sub-station in Bauan successfully rescued seven of the eight crew aboard the yacht.
“Hinahanap pa rin po ang eight crew hanggang ngayon (they are still searching for the eight crew),” he said.
Bicol was among the hardest hit regions by “Quinta” which made its first landfall over San Miguel Island in Tabaco City, Albay at 6:10 p.m. Sunday.
It made four more landfalls over Malinao, Albay at 6:50 p.m., San Andres, Quezon at 10:30 p.m., Torrijos, Marinduque at 1:20 a.m. Monday, and Pola Oriental Mindoro at 3:30 a.m., according to the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA).
Six areas in Bicol Region and Calabarzon experienced power interruption as strong winds brought by Quinta toppled electric posts.
Timbal said these areas were in Albay, Catanduanes, Camarines Sur, Masbate, Sorsogon, and Quezon province.
Around 10 a.m., the eye of Quinta was located at 1,920 km east of Southern Luzon, and will likely exit the Philippine Area of Responsibility (PAR) on Tuesday, PAGASA said.