The Bureau of Customs registered a spike in pork imports following the government’s order lowering tariffs on swine meat shipments that aims to stabilize the domestic supply and prices, the Department of Finance (DOF) said. In a report to Finance Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III, the Customs...
Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla, Jr. on Monday, July 5 said he is thankful after the Sandiganbayan acquitted him of all 16 graft charges that are related to the so-called pork barrel fund case or the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) scam. In its decision, the Sandiganbayan granted...
The Philippines is hoping to see the entry of as much as 140,000 metric tons (MT) of imported pork under the minimum access volume (MAV) as part of efforts to bring down meat prices in the country. This developed following the recent approval by the inter-agency MAV Management Committee (MMC) of...
Seventy percent or some 140,000 metric tons (MT) of the expanded minimum access volume (MAV) allocation of pork imports under the Executive Order (EO) 133 will be imported between July and October this year, the MAV management committee said. (Keith Bacongco / File photo / MANILA BULLETIN) In a...
The Development Bank of the Philippines (DBP) Friday, (June 18) unveiled a P12 billion credit facility to boost pork production. The bank works closely with the Department of Agriculture (DA) and stakeholders in the hog industry to increase pork production to meet consumer demand and stabilize the...
Nearly a decade after the Commission on Audit exposed the pork barrel scam that reportedly defrauded government of more than P10 billion, the audit agency finally affirmed the liability of a former partylist solon in the release of over P10.79 million to a bogus foundation linked to alleged scam...
The rate of increase in consumer prices was steady for the third straight month in May, but remained above the Duterte administration’s target, data from the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) showed on Friday, June 4. The country’s headline inflation clocked in at 4.5 percent last month,...
Amid recent government decisions that aim to increase the importation of rice and pork, food security advocacy group Tugon Kabuhayan has called for much-improved industry data gathering in the agriculture sector. In a virtual briefing, Asis Perez, convenor of Tugon Kabuhayan, said the government...
The current pork shortage in the country due to African Swine Fever (ASF) is feared to last until 2026, according to a meat traders’ group. In text exchanges, Meat Importers and Traders Association (MITA) President Jess Cham said they are now considering of requesting the government to...
The country's tariff rates on imported rice and pork products will be adjusted for a year in a bid to boost food supply and keep prices affordable, Malacañang announced Saturday. President Rodrigo Duterte skims through a document as he presides over a meeting with the Inter-Agency Task Force on...
The country’s food producers – farmers, fishermen, and livestock raisers – are now facing the worst crisis in years. This was declared by United Broiler Raisers’ Association (UBRA) President Bong Inciong during the Farmers and Fisherfolks Congress on Friday. According to Inciong, the...
Department of Agriculture (DA) Secretary William Dar bared that they are looking to release the suggested retail price (SRP) for imported pork within the week. (Photo courtesy of LANDBANK) In a virtual press briefing Wednesday, May 12, Dar said that the agency is currently finalizing the proposed...