By Merlina Hernando-Malipot
To finally put an end on the growing confusion regarding its earlier directive to exclude Grade 6 completers from holding graduation rites this school year, the Department of Education (DepEd) admitted that an “unauthorized” change was done in a department order that has been circulated.
Issuing a statement late Saturday night, the department officially clarified that the DepEd Order No. 002 series 2019 or the School Year 2018-2019 K to 12 Basic Education Program End of School Year Rites dated February 18, 2019 stating that only Senior High School (SHS) or Grade 12 students will hold graduation ceremonies had been altered.
DepEd said that the original department Order signed by Education Secretary Leonor Briones “has in fact already been circulated before an unauthorized change—from ‘graduation’ to ‘moving-up’ ceremony for Grade 6 learners—was done by personnel who, in good faith, believed they were only making a correction.”
In a memorandum dated March 1, 2019 Briones issued DepEd Memorandum No. 25, series 2019 (Graduation Ceremony for Grade 6 Completers in School Year 2018-2019) signed by the Education to “reinstate the original” Order, which allows the holding of graduation ceremonies for Grade 6 completers.
DepEd noted that its original issuance of DepEd Order No. 2, series 2019 (School Year 2018-2019 K to 12 Basic Education Program End of School Year Rites) also dated February 18 – stating that Grade 6 completers of the current school year shall have a graduation ceremony – is the “correct and agreed upon Order of the agency.”
Still under discussion
Meanwhile, DepEd explained that the “matter of shifting the end-of-year ceremony for Grade 6 learners from graduation to moving up is still under discussion by the Department.” Thus, “no decision to shift has yet been made.”
DepEd assured that should a decision to change be made, “it will not be implemented this school year to allow sufficient time for information and preparation by field units.”
Given this, DepEd reiterated that the change excluding Grade 6 completers from holding attending graduation rites “was not only unauthorized” but was also “without basis.” Meanwhile, DepEd assures its stakeholders that it is “taking measures to ensure that incidents similar to this will not happen again.”
The "flip-flopping" on policy regarding the EOSY rites for SY 2018-2019 created confusion among school personnel, parents, and teachers – alike. In the altered DO 02 s. of 2019, which was also issued to DepEd key officials, bureau and service directors, regional directors, schools division superintendents and school heads of public and private elementary and secondary school heads, it was stated Kindergarten, Grades 6 and 10 may undergo “moving up” or “completion” exercises while Grade 12 learners from schools with DepEd-approved K to 12 transition plan; schools with permit to operate Senior High School since 2014; and international schools with K to 12 Program will hold graduation ceremonies.
Kindergarten learners will receive Kindergarten Certificate; Grade 6 learners will receive Elementary Certificate; Grade 10 learners will receive Junior High School (JHS) Certificate and the SHS graduates will get SHS Diploma.
To further clarify the said directive, the Manila Bulletin sought for additional information from DepEd’s Communication Unit, as well as from the Bureau of Learning Delivery-Teaching and Learning Division (BLD-TLD), wherein a supervising education program specialist (who spoke on the condition of anonymity) also confirmed what was stated in the said Order and noted that this SY will be the “first time” that there will be no graduation rites for Grade 6 completers.
The Manila Bulletin also reached out to DepEd Undersecretary and official spokesperson Annalyn Sevilla to clarify the issue. Initially, she mentioned that a “clarificatory memo” will be issued to “explain the change.”
After getting inputs from DepEd's Curriculum and Instruction, Sevilla relayed that “there is only one basic education curriculum or program offered by DepEd, the K to 12 Program.”
Thus, “there is only one graduation at basic education” from the K to 12 Program. “Hence, only SHSs will conduct graduation rites for qualified grade 12 students,” she added.
It was also confirmed that the said order covers not only public schools but also private schools and Philippine schools overseas. In a recent development, she said that the inputs from the C & I which was initially shared “has to undergo review and discussion” at the DepEd’s ExeCom level.
In DM No. 25 s. of 2019, Briones clarified that the end of school year rites for Grade 6 completers this school year 2018-2019 “shall be a graduation ceremony.” She explained that the “moving-up ceremony instead of graduation ceremony for Grade 6 is under discussion” by DepEd the Executive Committee and "should this be approved, DepEd assured all concerned that this will be announced with sufficient lead time.” The Secretary also extended apologies “for any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused.”
With theme, “Pagkakaisa sa Pagkakaiba-iba: Kalidad na Edukasyon para sa Lahat” (Unity in Diversity: Quality Education for All), both public and private schools are scheduled to hold their respective end of school year rites not earlier than April 1, 2019 but not later than April 5, 2019 based on DO No. 25, s. 2018 or the “School Calendar for School Year 2018-2019.”