UST student councils slam delayed class suspension amid flooding
Photos courtesy of Varsitarian
The Central Student Council and Local Student Councils of the University of Santo Tomas (UST) have condemned what they described as the delayed suspension of classes and response to flooding during severe weather on August 17, saying the decision left thousands of students facing dangerous travel conditions in Manila.
In a statement, the student councils criticized both the Manila City Government and the UST administration over the timing of the suspension, saying students had already traveled to or arrived at their campuses by the time classes were called off.
They said students were forced to navigate flooded roads, severe traffic, and limited transportation as weather conditions deteriorated across Metro Manila.
The councils also questioned the decision to shift to online instruction after the suspension, saying students who had already been placed in unsafe conditions were still expected to attend classes and comply with academic requirements through UST’s Enriched Virtual Mode.
“No student should ever be forced to choose between pursuing education and protecting their safety,” the councils said.
The student leaders said the worsening weather and flooding were not entirely unforeseen, citing weather monitoring, flood advisories, and previous experiences with similar conditions as sufficient warning of the deteriorating situation.
They said thousands of Thomasians were stranded not only on the UST Manila campus but also in various parts of Manila, with some students reportedly forced to stay overnight because of flooded streets and blocked roads.
Students from outside Metro Manila likewise faced difficulties traveling home, according to the statement.
The councils acknowledged the efforts of students and university offices that assisted during the flooding but said the situation raised questions about the timeliness of the response and the availability of immediate support for those affected.
They called on the Manila City Government to strengthen its responsibility toward students, faculty, and workers who study, work, and travel within the city.
The student councils also urged the UST administration to adopt more preventive measures, respond more quickly to weather-related concerns, and consider calls for early class suspensions during natural disasters and other emergencies.
They likewise called on the national government and lawmakers to address what they described as persistent problems in flood control and disaster preparedness, linking the August 17 flooding to broader concerns over governance and alleged corruption.
The councils emphasized that safety decisions should be made before dangerous conditions become widespread.
“Students should not have to wait until the streets are flooded before their safety is considered,” they said, adding that waiting for danger to arrive does not constitute preparedness.
The Manila City Government and UST administration have yet to issue a response to the student councils’ statement.