Palace orders alternative classes, govt work arrangements in NCR, 17 other provinces on Aug 20 due to habagat
At A Glance
- Malacañang has ordered alternative learning modes and work arrangements in Metro Manila and 17 provinces on Aug. 20 due to risks from continued heavy rains.
- Government agencies delivering basic and health services, disaster response, and other vital services will continue operating.
- PAGASA said Tropical Depression Neneng is enhancing the southwest monsoon, with heavy rains expected in Metro Manila and several parts of Luzon.
Malacañang has ordered the implementation of alternative learning modes and alternative work arrangements in Metro Manila and 17 provinces on Thursday, Aug. 20, as continued heavy rains from the enhanced southwest monsoon threaten flooding and travel disruptions.
Under Memorandum Circular No. 131, the arrangements cover the National Capital Region and the provinces of Abra, Benguet, Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, La Union, Pangasinan, Bataan, Bulacan, Nueva Ecija, Pampanga, Tarlac, Zambales, Batangas, Cavite, Laguna, Rizal, and Occidental Mindoro.
The circular, issued on Wednesday, said the measures were adopted upon the recommendation of the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council in anticipation of continued heavy rainfall associated with the enhanced southwest monsoon.
It directed government offices in the affected areas to implement appropriate alternative work arrangements, while agencies involved in basic and health services, disaster preparedness and response, and other vital services were ordered to continue operations and provide necessary services.
Contract of Service and Job Order workers placed under alternative work arrangements will receive their corresponding wages or salaries, subject to applicable rules and regulations.
Unless otherwise directed by local chief executives, schools in the affected areas will shift to alternative learning modes and implement learning continuity measures.
The circular also allows local chief executives to order the localized cancellation or suspension of classes and, where warranted, the suspension of work in government offices in their respective areas.
The suspension of work or adoption of alternative work arrangements in the private sector will remain at the discretion of management.
The Palace order comes as PAGASA said Tropical Depression Neneng was moving northwestward toward Taiwan and was unlikely to make landfall in the Philippines, although the weather system was strengthening the southwest monsoon and contributing to the heavy rains affecting Luzon.
As of 4 a.m. Wednesday, Neneng was about 675 kilometers east of Itbayat, Batanes, with maximum sustained winds of 55 kilometers per hour near the center and gusts of up to 70 kph, while no tropical cyclone wind signal had been raised.
PAGASA said three tropical depressions were being monitored, including Neneng inside the Philippine Area of Responsibility and two others outside it, with one of the latter systems potentially entering the PAR next week and further enhancing the habagat.
For the next 24 hours, PAGASA forecast 100 to 200 millimeters of rain over Zambales, Bataan, and Occidental Mindoro, while 50 to 100 mm of rain may fall over Metro Manila, Ilocos Sur, La Union, Pangasinan, Abra, Benguet, Tarlac, Pampanga, Bulacan, Nueva Ecija, Laguna, Rizal, Cavite, Batangas, and Oriental Mindoro.
PAGASA said it does not expect a break in the southwest monsoon rains for the rest of August, with the weather system likely to remain active through the end of the month.