Palace: No one being singled out in travel authority release
Palace Press Officer and Communications Undersecretary Claire Castro (Betheena Unite)
Malacañang said requests for transparency regarding travel authorities issued to public officials will be accommodated, stressing that no one is being singled out.
Amid exchanges between the Office of the Vice President (OVP) and Malacañang regarding the recent travel authority granted to Vice President Sara Duterte for her supposed Japan trip, which was later cancelled, Palace Press Officer and Communications Undersecretary Claire Castro clarified that the Office of the President (OP) has always been transparent in releasing travel information.
During a Palace briefing on Wednesday, Aug. 19, Castro underscored that if the media asks to confirm a specific travel authority granted to any official, Malacañang will publish it, stressing that this was the case with Duterte's latest travel authority.
This, as Duterte questioned the continued publication or disclosure of her schedule, saying it could compromise her personal security.
The Vice President then called for the disclosure of all travel authorities issued by the Palace, along with the corresponding expenses and public funds involved.
Castro responded by saying, "Patungkol po sa dapat na ma-publish or maibunyag ang ibang mga travel authorities, depende po iyan sa media kung sino po ang hihingan ninyo ng travel authority, kung sino ang naisyuhan ng travel authority, kami naman ay tutugon (As for whether other travel authorities should be published or disclosed, that depends on the media and whom you ask for the travel authority. Whoever was issued the travel authority, we will respond to your request)."
"Hindi po namin sini-single out, kailangan po talaga natin dito [ay] transparency (We are not singling anyone out. What we really need here is transparency)," Castro added.
The Palace spokesperson added, "Whoever is demanding transparency should also be transparent about their own activities."
On Tuesday night, Malacañang confirmed that it had approved the travel authority requested by Duterte for her supposed trip to Japan from Aug. 19 to 24.
However, the Vice President shortly flagged this, saying she had asked the Palace to cancel the travel authority.
According to Castro, the travel authority was granted to the OVP on Aug. 17 and was canceled on Aug. 19.
Castro said the news about Duterte's travel did not originate from Malacañang; it only confirmed the existence of such a travel authority.
"So, sa ating pagkakaalam, nagkaroon na ng balita na mayroong travel authority at kayo po ang mga witness ko at inalam lang ninyo sa akin kung ito ay confirmed (So, as far as we know, there was already news that a travel authority had been issued, and you were my witnesses because you asked me whether it was confirmed)," Castro said.
"Wala pong lumabas na balita mula sa amin, tinanong lamang ninyo kung confirmed po ang travel authority ng Bise Presidente at bilang tugon ay sinabi naming confirmed (No report came from our side. You simply asked whether the Vice President’s travel authority was confirmed, and in response, we said that it was confirmed)," Castro added.