DAVAO CITY – The Department of Education (DepEd) Region 11 has called on the public not to blame teachers for incidents of violence in schools, saying school safety is a shared responsibility among families, communities, and schools.
DepEd-11 spokesperson Jenielito Atillo made the statement following the shooting incident at Ateneo de Zamboanga University in Zamboanga City on Tuesday, Aug. 18, that left two students dead, including the shooter.
Speaking at the Davao Peace and Security Press Corps conference at The Royal Mandaya Hotel on Wednesday, Aug. 19, Atillo said it would be unfair to blame teachers or schools for incidents that occur within institutions.
"Do not blame the teachers," Atillo said, noting that teachers are primarily responsible for teaching lessons to their students and that school safety and other teachings in life are a shared responsibility.
Though the DepEd-11 spokesperson did not refer to anyone directly, some teachers had earlier criticized the controversial statement by Malacañang Palace Press Officer Undersecretary Claire Castro.
Atillo urged parents to check on themselves and their children regularly and emphasized that preventing violence requires cooperation among families, communities, and schools.
The DepEd-Davao City has coordinated with the Davao City Police Office and the Davao City Government to strengthen security measures in schools.
Schools Division Supt. Reynante Solitario met with DCPO Director Police Colonel Peter Madria, City Information Officer Harvey Lanticse, and other safety officials on Tuesday, Aug. 18, to discuss security measures.
Atillo said the measures include stricter security checks at school entrances, stronger anti-threat campaigns, and improved emergency response procedures in coordination with local authorities.
He said reported threats against teachers are being taken seriously and coordinated with law enforcement. He also urged teachers to stay alert and take safety precautions.
"DepEd-11 is strengthening security measures in schools across the region," Atillo said. He added that everyone entering schools, including students and all school personnel, must follow security procedures.
The school official said bag inspections may be conducted on students, and additional checks may be required if security personnel have serious concerns.
"In such cases, the student may be brought to the Principal's Office, contact their parents, and inspect their belongings further with the presence of their parents," he said.
Atillo said all vehicles are also prohibited from entering school premises for any purpose, unless drivers undergo inspection and present their licenses.
He added that schools also have designated personnel to check firearms brought by police officers, security personnel, or other authorized individuals.
Atillo acknowledged that schools have limits in providing security and appealed again to parents, law enforcement, and other stakeholders to help protect students and school personnel.
Atillo thanked the members of the Philippine National Police for maintaining police visibility around schools, saying their presence provides additional security support.
"We are thankful that nothing has transpired here in Davao Region, and we intend to strengthen security further to ensure that nothing of this sort will happen here," Atillo said.