At A Glance
- The Philippine National Police tightened its surveillance on foreign conflict recruiters suspected of using high-paying job offers to lure Filipinos into combat roles overseas.
- The probe follows reports of a Filipino killed fighting for Russian forces in Ukraine, with Ukrainian intelligence identifying the reported fighter as a 37-year-old Metro Manila resident.
- Authorities warned job-seekers against suspicious overseas offers, as the PNP coordinates with the military and intelligence community and looks into claims that at least three more Filipinos were recruited.
The Philippine National Police (PNP) said it has tightened surveillance against groups suspected of enticing Filipinos into joining wars overseas by disguising combat recruitment as job offers.
Police General Jose Melencio C. Nartatez, Jr., PNP chief, said the organization is investigating reports of Filipinos being recruited to fight in foreign conflicts.
“We are coordinating with the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the intelligence community regarding this serious matter. If there is any, our goal is to shut down the network of recruitment in the interest of protecting all our kababayan,” he said.
Concerns grew after reports surfaced that a Filipino was killed while fighting alongside Russian forces in May during an assault near Katerynivka in Donetsk, Ukraine.
Ukrainian intelligence identified the reported fighter as a 37-year-old Metro Manila resident. He allegedly obtained a Russian visa in January, traveled to Russia in April, signed a military contract on May 3, underwent about a week of training, and was deployed to the frontline.
The national government previously warned Filipinos against joining foreign armed conflicts or serving as mercenaries.
Authorities said there were claims that at least three more Filipinos had been recruited.
Nartatez explained that the PNP is looking into possible schemes that lure Filipinos with promises of high-paying employment before sending them to areas affected by armed conflict.
“Our focus is to prevent job-seekers from being deceived into dangerous situations abroad,” he said.
The PNP also reminded Filipinos to be cautious when considering overseas employment offers, especially those involving security or combat-related work. The public was urged to verify recruitment offers and report suspicious activities to authorities.