Metro Manila mayors step up drive vs improper waste disposal, eye single ticketing system vs violators
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) welcomed the proposal of the mayors of Metro Manila to implement a Garbage Single Ticketing System in the metropolis following the tons of garbage that floated on a river system in Parañaque City last week.
MMDA chairman Don Artes said the proposal will make the enforcement of anti-littering ordinances stronger and more harmonized and eventually reduce the amount of garbage reaching waterways and drainage systems.
Improper garbage disposal is one of the factors being blamed for the widespread flooding in Metro Manila and the MMDA has been repeatedly reminding the public to observe discipline, especially after furniture and appliances were among those retrieved from waterways a few years ago.
“The proper management of solid waste is not only an environmental concern but also a critical part of our flood mitigation efforts,” said Artes during the meeting of the Metro Manila Council (MMC) on Tuesday, Aug. 18.
“We support initiatives that will strengthen discipline, harmonize enforcement, and encourage every Metro Manila resident to take responsibility for their waste,” he added.
Las Piñas City Congressman Mark Anthony Santos proposed the Garbage Single Ticketing System, saying this would strengthen enforcement of solid waste management regulations and promote uniformity among local government units (LGUs) in Metro Manila.
He said a single ticketing system would help establish a more coordinated approach to enforcing waste management rules across the metropolis.
“We need a unified and consistent system that will make enforcement more effective while reminding our constituents that proper waste disposal is a shared responsibility,” he said.
Also tackled during the press briefing was the ₱5,000 anti-littering fine across all LGUs, while Municipality of Pateros imposes a ₱2,500 penalty.
Artes said those who fail to pay may be required to render community service. The initiative depends on the passing of local ordinances.
Waste-to energy
During the meeting, the MMC also discussed the government's ongoing proposed waste-to-energy initiatives.
The proposal was mentioned by President Marcos after the sea of trash inspection in Parañaque City last week.
The proposal aims to explore ways of converting waste into usable energy while reducing the volume of garbage that ends up in landfills.
Drainage master plan
For his part, San Juan City Mayor and MMC President Francis Zamora reiterated the importance of developing an Integrated Drainage Master Plan among Metro Manila local government units to address flooding through a coordinated, region-wide approach.
“Flooding does not stop at city or municipal boundaries, making it necessary for us, LGUs, to work together in planning and improving drainage systems, waterways, pumping stations, and other flood-control infrastructure,” Zamora said.
Artes, on the other hand, said that the MMDA is already working closely with the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) on efforts related to drainage and flood management.
“The MMDA and DPWH are already working together on this. We are continuously reviewing our flood-control and drainage systems to determine what needs to be improved and upgraded,” Artes said.
Zamora also requested assistance from the MMDA in conducting regular dredging operations along the San Juan River, emphasizing the importance of maintaining the waterway's capacity and improving water flow, particularly during periods of heavy rainfall.
During the meeting, DPWH Undersecretary Emil Sadain also presented the proposed Parañaque Spillway Project, a flood-control initiative intended to improve the conveyance and discharge of excess floodwaters and help reduce flooding in vulnerable areas.