Grade 7 student goes on shooting spree inside Zamboanga school; 2 killed
By Liza Jocson
The suspect lies on the floor of the school after the shooting
ZAMBOANGA CITY- Two students were killed after a grade seven male student went on a shooting rampage inside a private university here on Tuesday, August 18, in the latest case of mass shooting inside a school.
The shooting incident was live streamed by the suspect on social media.
A police spot report said they received a call about the shooting at 7:50 a.m.
In the video, the student was seen standing outside a classroom with the gun. The unsuspecting students who were listening to the instructor initially did not mind the shooter, not imagining the horror that would follow.
Upon hearing the shots, the students scrambled to avoid the shooter, who then moved to another classroom.
The same horrific scene was replayed in the next classroom. The students escaped towards another exit in the room while the shooter fired numerous shots.
Councilor Fred Atilano, Chairperson of the Council Peace and Order Committee, said two bodies were found inside the building.
The body of the alleged shooter, a grade seven student, was found at the fifth floor of the building with the firearm used found near his body.
The firearm used in the shooting
The body of another male student was found inside a classroom at the fourth floor, where the shooter had earlier fired his gun.
Mayor Khymer Olaso announced the suspension of classes in all levels in Ateneo de Zamboanga.
A press conference was held at the Ateneo de Zamboanga presided over by Acting Mayor Beng Climaco and City Police Director Col Fidel Fortaleza.