Gov't spent P1.939-trillion in flood control, yet floods remain uncontrolled—Lacson
At A Glance
- Sen. Panfilo "Ping" Lacson made this observation on Monday evening, August 17 as the heavy monsoon rains inundated several parts of the country, particularly Metro Manila in recent days.
Despite the government spending P1.939-trillion on the Department of Public Works and Highways’ (DPWH) flood control management program from 2011 to 2025, floods remain uncontrolled.
Sen. Panfilo “Ping” Lacson made this observation on Monday evening, August 17 as the heavy monsoon rains inundated several parts of the country, particularly Metro Manila in recent days.
“FLOOD CONTROL VS UNCONTROLLED FLOOD: PhP1.939 trillion funded the DPWH flood control management program under three presidents from 2011-2025 and the result is uncontrolled flood,” Lacson said in a post on X.
https://x.com/iampinglacson/status/2089334945106002133
According to the senator, historical data on DPWH flood management spending under the Aquino, Duterte and Marcos administrations from 2011 to 2025, with annual funding for flood management breaching the P100-billion mark in 2018 shows:
2011: P11.323 billion
2012: P10.816 billion
2013: P15.817 billion
2014: P30.001 billion
2015: P47.849 billion
2016: P67.740 billion
2017: P81.223 billion
2018: P139.001 billion
2019: P126.062 billion
2020: P116.047 billion
2021: P140.462 billion
2022: P145.622 billion
2023: P287.018 billion
2024: P346.771 billion
2025: P372.814 billion
Last year, Lacson saw that while the DPWH spent more than P1-trillion for flood management for the past 15 years—around P350 million a day—the problem still persists.
Since then, the lawmaker exposed several anomalous flood control projects, particularly in areas including Bulacan and Mindoro Oriental, through privilege speeches and in his hearings with the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee.
Only recently, he and his team uncovered several anomalous slope protection projects and illegal reclamation activities in Taguig City, the political bailiwick of Senate Minority Leader Alan Peter Cayetano.
The senator said he has turned over all related evidence to the Office of the Ombudsman for further investigation and prosecution.