ILOILO CITY —A barangay captain is facing multiple counts of attempted homicide for trying to shoot four people onboard a motorcycle with his unlicensed pistol in Cabatuan town, Iloilo province.
Barangay Captain Alfredo Cabar Jr. of Duyan-Duyan was charged on Tuesday, August 18, a day after he surrendered to authorities.
Captain Mary Gerbolinga, police chief of Cabatuan, told Manila Bulletin the prosecutor also charged Cabar with using an unlicensed firearm during the August 16 incident.
Based on initial investigation, it was past 9 PM of August 16 when Cabar allegedly flagged down a motorcycle driven by a 21-year-old man who had a 23-year-old security guard as passenger. They sped away after seeing the barangay captain pulling a pistol and firing shots at them.
A few minutes later, another motorcycle passed by. The barangay captain allegedly fired another round toward a 21-year-old driver and his 18-year-old passenger.
In both instances, the barangay captain did not hit anyone.
After surrendering, Cabar told police investigators he had no recollection of shooting anyone.
This is not the first time Cabar tried to shoot someone with a pistol. A similar incident occurred last year while he was allegedly under the influence of alcohol. At that time, he was charged with attempted homicide and illegal possession of firearm.