PNP: Gov't on top of security situation in BARMM despite gun attack on region's top leader
Security forces remain on top of the situation in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) following the attack on the region’s Interim Chief Minister a few weeks before the parliamentary elections next month.
Gen. Jose Melencio C. Nartatez, Jr., chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP), said security measures remain in place and police commanders were tasked to intensify intelligence-gathering and conduct real-time deployment adjustments on the remaining days leading to the elections on Sept. 14
“We in the Philippine National Police, along with our partners in the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Commission on Elections, will continue to assess the security situation and conduct necessary adjustments to ensure that the incident does not disrupt the electoral process,” said Nartatez.
“We assure the people of BARMM that the PNP will do everything within its mandate to ensure their safety and protect their right to participate freely and peacefully in the elections,” he added.
The Chief PNP issued the statement after the ambush on the convoy of BARMM Interim Chief Minister Abdulraof “Sammy Gambar” Macacua in Maguindanao del Norte.
Macacua and members of his entourage escaped unharmed after armed men fired at their convoy Saturday afternoon in Barangay Dulangan, Datu Odin Sinsuat.
He was traveling from his hometown in Barangay Gambar, Mother Kabuntalan after attending the proclamation rally of the Bangsamoro Federalist Party.
Macacua recently joined the party and was named its chairman after previously running as an independent candidate in the province’s third district.
The Commission on Elections said the attack appeared to be an isolated incident and should not be a reason to postpone the BARMM parliamentary polls.
Nartatez directed police units in BARMM to remain vigilant and politically neutral while protecting voters, candidates, and election personnel as the polls draw closer.