Leviste pledges 1M sacks of rice for unserved Batangas families
At A Glance
- Rep. Leandro Legarda Leviste pledged one million sacks of rice for Batangas families left out of government aid.
- He said the donation is personal, free of government cost, and meant to ensure no one is excluded.
- Distribution has begun, with tens of thousands of sacks already given to parishes and barangay workers.
Batangas 1st district Rep. Leandro Legarda Leviste (left), former Batangas governor Hermilando "Dodo" Mandanas (Facebook)
Batangas 1st district Rep. Leandro Legarda Leviste has committed to providing one million sacks of rice for families in Batangas who have not yet received government aid.
Leviste made the announcement at the Kapihan ng Samahang Plaridel Friday, where he discussed issues of alleged discrimination in the distribution of government aid.
“I will give one million sacks of rice for all the families who have not yet received government aid in Batangas, because I am saddened by the discrimination in the distribution of government aid,” Leviste said.
“This is my personal contribution, at no cost to government. No need for people to wait for photo-ops, and no one will be excluded,” said the billionaire businessman-turned-House member.
On April 24, President Marcos launched the “Bawat Bayan Makikinabang” program with a promise that rice would be distributed in every barangay. However, in Leviste’s district, scheduled rice deliveries from the provincial government to several barangays were cancelled, even though the stubs to claim the rice were already distributed.
These barangays were among the 84 barangays that were not given P200,000 under the same program on April 24, even though the cheques had been prepared on April 22.
“I am calling on local officials to work together to ensure that assistance reaches every family,” Leviste said
The distribution of one million sacks of rice has already begun. Last Monday, Leviste turned over 20,000 sacks of rice to the parishes of Batangas City at the recommendation of former Batangas governor Hermilando "Dodo" Mandanas.
On Wednesday, Leviste also turned over 20,000 sacks of rice to the barangay health workers, tanods, and other barangay functionaries in his district who were not included in the latest distribution of rice by the provincial government.
Leviste, 33, is a neophyte member of the House of Representatives.