At A Glance
- Sarmiento underscored that the administration's non-interference policy in the BARMM elections is anchored on the CAB signed in 2014.
Presidential Peace Adviser Mel Senen Sarmiento (JEL SANTOS/MB PHOTO)
Presidential Peace Adviser Mel Senen Sarmiento on Thursday, May 21, assured that no government agency would interfere in the upcoming Bangsamoro Parliamentary Elections (BPE), stressing that respecting the Bangsamoro people’s right to self-determination remains part of the government’s commitment under the Comprehensive Agreement on the Bangsamoro (CAB).
During a gathering with the media in Pasig City, Sarmiento said the Office of the Presidential Adviser on Peace, Reconciliation and Unity (OPAPRU) is closely coordinating with the Commission on Elections (Comelec) and security agencies to help ensure that the first parliamentary elections in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) will be free, honest, peaceful, and safe.
“Umattend kami ng panawagan ng Comelec kasi ang panawagan namin ay bigyang laya ang mga taong pumili ng kanilang magiging lider (We attended the Comelec’s call because we are appealing to let the people freely choose who their leaders will be),” he said.
“Napakahalaga po non. Free, honest election, at safe, peaceful siya (That is very important. The elections must be free, honest, safe, and peaceful),” he added.
Sarmiento said OPAPRU also joined the security cluster gathering organized by Comelec at Camp Crame to help ensure orderly elections in BARMM.
“Kaya sa security cluster, nanawagan din tayo doon sa pagtitipon na inorganisa ng Comelec doon sa Camp Crame na masigurong peaceful ang election at hayaan ang mga taong pumili (That is why during the security cluster gathering organized by Comelec at Camp Crame, we also appealed to ensure peaceful elections and allow people to freely choose),” he said.
Per Comelec, security preparations are being conducted in coordination with the Philippine National Police (PNP), Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), and other concerned agencies.
Sarmiento underscored that the administration’s non-interference policy in the BARMM elections is anchored on the CAB signed in 2014.
“The very reason na ipinasa ang CAB ‘yung hiling nang self-determination ng mga kapatid natin sa BARMM dahil ‘yon ang naging problema dati (The very reason the CAB was passed was because of the call for self-determination of our brothers and sisters in BARMM, because that had been the problem before),” he said.
“Pagkakakomplikto ng pananaw, paniwala, kultura, relihiyon. Naging pagkakaibang pananaw, hindi pwedeng impose ang paniwala ng isang lugar papunta sa isang lugar (There were conflicts in views, beliefs, culture, and religion. There were differences in perspectives, and one place’s beliefs cannot simply be imposed on another),” he went on.
Sarmiento said respecting BARMM’s right to self-determination means government agencies should not meddle in the elections.
“Sa ngalan ng naibigay natin ang self-determination na hiniling nila, na binigay ng gobyerno, marapat lang na panindigan iyon (In honoring the self-determination they asked for and which the government granted, it is only right that we uphold it),” he said.
“So meaning to say, hindi makikialam ang kahit anong ahensya ng gobyerno sa eleksyon (So meaning to say, no government agency will interfere in the elections),” he added.
Aside from election security, Sarmiento said OPAPRU is also conducting voter education efforts in BARMM to help voters understand the parliamentary system, under which elected officials will exercise both executive and legislative functions.
Meanwhile, Comelec Chairperson George Garcia said the Bangsamoro Parliamentary Elections will push through on Sept. 14, adding that candidate lists and related documents have been made available on the Comelec website.
On March 25, 2026, President Marcos signed Republic Act No. 12317, resetting the first regular BARMM elections to the second Monday of September 2026.