A FORENSICS investigator examines the car where two boys were found dead in Naga City, Cebu. (Contributed photo)
CEBU CITY – Police found no signs of foul play in the deaths of two children whose decomposing bodies were discovered inside an abandoned car in a garage in Barangay Tuyan, Naga City, Cebu.
Police Lt. Col. Dexter Calacar, chief of the Naga City Police Station, said personnel of the Scene-of-the-Crime Operatives found no signs of struggle inside the Kia Picanto where the two seven-year-old boys were found last Tuesday, May 19.
Reymar Conag and Jheff Xian Abellar had been missing since Monday, May 18.
Fearing they were abducted, their parents reported them missing to the police on Tuesday.
Police investigated the disappearance and managed to secure a security camera footage showing the two boys walking to a garage.
Lawmen went to the garage and noticed foul odor. The stench led police to a car where the two boys were found lifeless.
Police said the car was junked in the garage as it was not in running condition.
It was possible that the two boys played inside the car but ended up being suffocated after they failed to go out as the vehicle’s doors were defective and can only be opened from the outside, police said.
The car owner has reached out to the victims’ families and pledged to provide necessary assistance.
Calacar said the car owner could not be held criminally but may face civil liability.