PGMN execs told: Answer case in court, not on social media
At A Glance
- Romualdez's camp tells PGMN officials to address charges in court rather than on social media, stressing confidence in their evidence.
- Elaine Atienza, Romualdez's spokesperson, rejected claims that the controversy was about press freedom and reminded all parties to exercise restraint during ongoing proceedings.
- Romualdez was represented by counsel at the arraignment.
Leyte 1st district Rep. Martin Romualdez (PPAB)
The camp of former House Speaker Leyte 1st district Rep. Martin Romualdez has told the people behind the Peanut Gallery Media Network (PGMN) to answer the charges filed against them in court, not on social media.
Lawyer Elaine Atienza, Romualdez's spokesperson, said as much in a chance interview Thursday, May 21 following the arraignment of PGMN officials at Pasig Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch No. 152.
“Sa ngayon (For now) we cannot speak of the details of the case, along with the other evidence kasi (because) it’s already subject of ongoing proceedings,” Atienza said.
“But what we can say right now is that we are confident in the strength of our case and our evidence, and the court is the proper forum where we can test this evidence,” she added.
Earlier this month, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) reported that it arrested PGMN founder Franco Mabanta after an alleged P350-million extortion try on Romualdez.
Asked about online posts attacking the complaint and the evidence, Atienza said the Romualdez camp would not engage in speculation or litigate the case on social media.
“We respect the court process and we trust that the court will view this matter fairly. Ipinapaubaya po natin sa korte ang paglilitis at pagtingin sa mga ebidensyang ipipresenta ng mga parties,” she added.
Atienza also rejected attempts to portray the controversy as an attack on press freedom.
“This is not about press freedom. In fact, we encourage people—if they have anything against any person, they can report that to the authorities. But we should always follow the process,” she said.
The lawyer also reminded all parties connected to the case to exercise restraint while proceedings are ongoing.
“Of course. That goes for all, as lawyers and parties to the case, we are all enjoined and instructed not to talk about the merits of the case before the media and social media,” Atienza said when asked if personalities linked to PGMN should refrain from inflammatory online posts.
Atienza stressed that the proper venue for determining truth and accountability is the judiciary—not online platforms.
“And we encourage the public to be more circumspect, to be able to judge what we see on social media. Because ultimately it is the court that will decide,” she added.
She also confirmed that Romualdez, president of the Lakas-Christian Muslim Democrats (Lakas-CMD) parrty was unable to attend the hearing personally. However, the ex-Speaker remains willing to comply with any lawful court processes if necessary.
“He’s duly represented by counsel. If magkaroon, or if ma-require yung kanyang presence or participation in the case whether by the court or under the rules, he will comply,” Atienza said.
(If his presence or participation in the case is required, whether by the court or under the rules, he will comply.)
“At the end of the day, this case will not be decided by hashtags, speculation, or social media theatrics. It will be decided by evidence, by law, and by the courts,” Atienza added.