Korean police clear Kim Soo-hyun in Kim Sae-ron minor dating allegations
South Korean police have concluded that actor Kim Soo-hyun did not date late actress Kim Sae-ron when she was a minor, this, according to Korean media reports.
The development came as authorities sought an arrest warrant against YouTuber Kim Se-ui, who previously accused Kim Soo-hyun of having an inappropriate relationship with Kim Sae-ron.
Kim Sae-ron was found dead in her Seoul home on Feb. 16, 2025. Following her death, her family and the YouTube channel HoverLab (also known as Garosero Research Institute) alleged that Kim Soo-hyun dated the actress while she was underage.
Kim Soo-hyun later admitted that he and Kim Sae-ron had been in a relationship, but insisted they dated only between 2019 and 2020, after she had already become an adult.
According to a report by Korea JoongAng Daily published on May 21, police investigating the case found no evidence that the actor dated Kim Sae-ron as a minor.
Authorities are now pursuing legal action against Kim Se-ui for allegedly spreading false information through YouTube broadcasts. Among the claims under investigation was the accusation that Kim Sae-ron’s death was linked to financial pressure allegedly caused by Kim Soo-hyun.
Police also accused the YouTuber of defamation and violating laws related to illegal filming and distribution of materials.
Investigators said chat screenshots and KakaoTalk messages released online as supposed proof of the relationship had been manipulated. According to police, several portions were edited, including changing the name of an unidentified person in the conversation to “Kim Soo-hyun.”
Authorities further alleged that an audio file released last year claiming to contain Kim Sae-ron’s voice was created using artificial intelligence.
Police said the controversy severely damaged Kim Soo-hyun’s reputation and career, which has remained on hiatus amid the scandal.
A lawyer representing Kim Sae-ron’s family was also booked by authorities for allegedly helping spread the disputed materials and claims.
Kim Se-ui has denied wrongdoing and questioned the basis for the arrest warrant.
A court hearing on the arrest warrant request is scheduled for May 26 at the Seoul Central District Court.