2 PNP officers sacked over meeting between 'missing sabungeros' kin, dismissed cops
Lawyer says 'sabungeros' relatives approached her, ready to face probe
An inter-agency search and retrieval operation is conducted by the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), Philippine National Police's Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG), and Department of Justice (DOJ) at the Taal Lake in Talisay, Batangas on July 10, 2025 to locate the remains of 34 missing sabungeros believed to have been killed and dumped in the lake. (Santi San Juan / MANILA BULLETIN)
Two police officials were sacked from their posts after allegedly facilitating a meeting between the families of the missing sabungeros and the policemen being linked to the disappearance of their kin.
One of them was assigned to the Highway Patrol Group while the other one was the head of the custodial facility at Camp Crame, but Police Brig. Gen. Randulf Tuaño said their relief does not necessarily mean that they are guilty.
“We are not saying that they are guilty. It’s just a matter of SOP (standard operating procedure),” said Tuaño.
He explained that the reason is to ensure that they will not be given the opportunity to influence the conduct of the investigation for criminal and administrative cases.
On Wednesday, the National Police Commission (Napolcom) said they are investigating two police officials for allegedly assisting and facilitating the visit of the relatives of the missing sabungeros to police officers previously ordered dismissed from the service over their alleged involvement in the case.
In response, Napolcom Commissioner Ralph Calinisan directed the Inspection, Monitoring and Investigation Service (IMIS) to conduct a motu proprio investigation into the possible administrative liabilities of the involved police personnel.
“Any attempt to improperly influence complainants or interfere in the pursuit of justice would not be tolerated,” said Calinisan.
Not me
In the complaint, the relatives of the missing sabungeros claimed that they were approached by lawyer Caroline Cruz, reportedly representing the camp of businessman Atong Ang.
They said it was Cruz who encouraged them to speak with the detained police officers, adding that they were paid up to P40,000 for transportation assistance and compensation for the inconvenience of attending the meetings.
But Cruz denied the allegation and claimed that it was the relatives of the missing sabungeros who sought a meeting with her at her office in Mandaluyong City where the first meeting took place on April 20.
Cruz, executive director of Pitmaster Foundation, clarified that she met them not individually but as a group. She recalled that the group was led by Diane Loyola, a victim’s relative, who told her that they were meeting her in the hope that she could lead them to the truth about the case.
“I was surprised by their visit, but I welcomed them. It was a cordial meeting, if I am to describe it,” Cruz explained, adding that there are witnesses who can back her claim.
“I told them I am also in search of the truth, and honestly, that is the only reason why I allowed that unscheduled meeting to happen,” she said.
Cruz maintained she did not call them or ask anybody to arrange the meeting on her behalf.
Stunned
But in the course of her conversation, Cruz said she was surprised that the relatives of the missing sabungeros did not know she was initially among those charged in the case.
“I was stunned by their reply when I offered that information to them. But since I also seek the truth, I became more convinced to set another meeting,” Cruz added.
She said she chose Shangri-La to be the venue of their succeeding meeting because it is a public place.
Cruz said she had already noticed that someone was secretly taking pictures of them but just ignored it since she was not hiding anything.
“They said they also have an audio recording of our conversations. I dare them to make that public,” Cruz stressed.
No strings attached
Cruz also denied claims by the group that she arranged the trips of other members of the victims’ families to casinos and to a resort in Iba, Zambales. She, however, admitted she personally gave them money as a form of support for their causes.
“I did not ask for anything in return for the financial support that I gave them. They signed nothing that would, in any way, be useful in the case,” Cruz said.
As a lawyer, Cruz said the relatives of the victims are not necessarily parties to the case. She said some are complainants’ family members, but not all are witnesses.
“To ask for their recantation is not something that a sensible lawyer would even ask at this point. They are not even witnesses to the case, to begin with,” she pointed out.
This fact, according to her, belies the group’s assertion that the money she gave was meant to silence them.
“When almost all of them started to talk about how difficult their lives are now after what they’ve been through, that’s the time when I offered them help without asking for anything,” Cruz said.
Nothing to hide
Cruz clarified she gave the members of the group she met with P20,000 each and not P40,000 as they claimed.
She said the group’s decision to make the details of their meeting public could be part of continuing efforts by a self-proclaimed whistleblower to muddle the case.
“I have nothing to hide. My conscience is clean. I am more than willing to answer all their charges if and when required by the proper legal forum,” said Cruz.