CEBU CITY – While some forces have started to consolidate for the 2028 elections, a prominent political figure in Cebu is opting to stay out of the picture.
Former Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia distanced herself from what she described as speculations surrounding her political plans for 2028.
In a statement, Garcia said she is putting politics aside for now to focus on helping Cebuanos amid the current crises from the Middle East conflict.
Garcia said she is neither preparing for personal political plans nor endorsing anyone for the 2028 elections.
“At this time, I would like to make it clear that, notwithstanding supposed reports and speculations, I am not leaning toward supporting any individual interested in running for any position,” Garcia said. “I likewise have no political plans to announce, whether for myself or for anybody else.”
For now, Garcia said she is focusing on finding ways to help the Cebuanos.
“There are more urgent matters that require our attention and energy. Right now, I believe my focus should be on how I may be able to extend assistance to those in need during these times of crises, economic, and political,” she said.
“Politics can wait. Responding to the needs of our fellow Cebuanos cannot,” she added.
Garcia’s statement came after the Reform Alliance for Accountability, Good Governance, and Ethics (Rage) Coalition was launched in Cebu last May 10.
Davao City Mayor Sebastian Duterte was among the key personalities who attended the event. Garcia’s brother, former Cebu third district Rep. Pablo John Garcia, incumbent Cebu North District Rep. Cutie del Mar, and ex-Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes were among the known local personalities who graced the launching.
Garcia has been out of the public eye since suffering an upset loss to Pamela Baricuatro in last year’s elections.
The Cebu Alliance for Duterte 2028 was also launched in Cebu City last March.