Nartatez to cops: Ignore 'political noise,' stick to peace and order mandate
At A Glance
- PNP Chief Police Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. urged police officers to ignore political distractions and focus on maintaining peace and order.
- He warned against efforts to involve police personnel in partisan politics, saying these could disrupt the PNP's work.
- Nartatez said the PNP should respond to criticism and online attacks by improving public service.
- He emphasized that declining crime rates and strong public trust show the police force is fulfilling its mandate.
- He also reaffirmed the PNP's close cooperation with the Department of the Interior and Local Government under Secretary Jonvic Remulla, particularly on reforms, anti-crime efforts, anti-drug campaigns, anti-smuggling operations, and the "Safer Cities Initiative."
PNP Chief Police General Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. (File photo)
Police Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr., chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP), on Tuesday, May 19, told police commanders and personnel to ignore “political noise” and stay focused on their mandate of maintaining peace and order.
Nartatez warned that attempts to draw police officers into partisan politics could affect the PNP’s operations.
“These intrigues and political noises, including attempts to encourage any of our personnel to engage in partisan politics, are meant to distract us from performing our job well and sustaining our gains on peace and order,” Nartatez said in a statement.
The PNP chief said police personnel should instead treat criticisms and online attacks as a challenge to improve public service and protection.
He noted that the sustained efforts to reduce the crime rate, backed by high public trust and performance rating, are “sufficient vindication that the PNP is doing well in its commitment to peace and order across the country.”
“The PNP remains completely focused on its mandate and other reform measures, including the integration of the policies of the DILG under Secretary Jonvic Remulla on internal reforms and actions that will make the public feel safe,” Nartatez said.
The PNP and the Department of the Interior and Local Government have been closely coordinating on police reforms and peace and order programs under Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla.
The police organization has recently intensified anti-crime operations, anti-illegal drug campaigns, and efforts against smuggling.
He pointed to the PNP’s “Safer Cities Initiative,” which the police leadership credited for the decline in crime incidents nationwide. The PNP has also increased police visibility in communities and pushed for faster emergency response.
Nartatez made the remarks amid rumors of Remulla’s exit from the Cabinet after the escape of Senator Ronald Dela Rosa from the Senate. Malacañang earlier denied that President Marcos Jr. has lost confidence in Remulla in the wake of the incident.
Dela Rosa, a former police chief, is facing an arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) over his role in the controversial anti-drug campaign of the previous Duterte administration, where thousands of drug suspects were killed.
However, he evaded the service of the warrant by agents from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) last week by staying under the protective custody of the Senate. A gun-related incident also further increased tensions in the Senate.
For the PNP, Nartatez said the police organization would continue working with the DILG and other law enforcement agencies to sustain public safety efforts across the country.
“Our working relationship with Secretary Remulla has been highly professional, collaborative, and anchored on institutional stability. We continue to fully cooperate with the DILG leadership to ensure peace and order nationwide,” Nartatez said.
“We will not allow unverified political talk to distract us from our duty to protect the public,” he added.