No Senate leadership change despite coup rumors to oust Cayetano
By Dhel Nazario
No change in the Senate leadership occurred on Monday, May 18, amid rumors of a fresh coup to unseat Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano.
Senators, led by Senate President Alan Peter Cayetano, take their oath as the impeachment court convenes at the Senate in Pasay City on Monday, May 18, 2026, for the impeachment trial of Vice President Sara Duterte. (Mark Balmores)
Coup rumors surfaced in the past week and over the weekend following the shooting incident that occurred within the Senate premises. Cayetano previously stated that the new majority bloc was already getting calls, even threats, for another leadership change.
In a press conference, Cayetano was asked about calls for him to resign. He said all the untoward incidents since he assumed office were part of a larger push to install someone easier to control.
“For me, it’s a concerted effort from day one to get me out because they want someone they can control,” he said.
But Cayetano said he would continue to protect the Senate’s independence while working with other branches of government.
“The only thing I promise is I follow God,” he said.
“Collaboration is OK, pero y’ung sunod-sunuran kami sa inyo at hawak niyo kami sa leeg, hindi pwede ’yon (Collaboration is okay, but if it means we’re just following your orders and you’ve got us by the neck, that’s not acceptable),” he added.
“Hindi niyo natibag ang Senado. Under Alan Cayetano, hindi niyo natibag ang Senado (You cannot break the Senate. Under Alan Cayetano, you cannot break the Senate),” he said.
If he gets replaced, Cayetano stated that he hopes that the Senate will not be brought down.
Under Cayetano, the Senate convened the impeachment court to take up the impeachment complaint of Vice President Sara Duterte.
Zubiri, Ejercito identifies with the minority bloc
Before convening, Senators Juan Miguel "Migz" Zubiri and JV Ejercito identified themselves with the minority bloc. The majority bloc is now composed of 13 senators, while the minority bloc is composed of 11 senators.
Zubiri said this was due to the shooting incident.
"With the handling of shootout, natauhan ako, Nagulat ako para sa institusyon na ito, at napaisip ako ng malalim (With the way the shootout was handled, I came to my senses. I was shocked for this institution, and it made me think deeply)," he said.
"For the first time in the history, nagkaputukan dito, at nagkagulo-gulo. That has never happened in the history of this great body. So we made the decision, I made the decision with my family that it has to change (For the first time in history, gunfire erupted here and chaos broke out. That has never happened in the history of this great body. So we made the decision — I made the decision with my family — that things have to change)," he added.
Meanwhile, Cayetano also administered the oath to newly installed Senate Secretary Jose Luis Montales during the chamber’s plenary session.