34th Manggahan Festival kicks off; 18 tons of mangoes offered for consumption
By Tara Yap
AUSTRALIAN visitors enjoy sweet Guimaras mangoes as the 34th Manggahan Festival opens Friday, May 15. (Tara Yap)
ILOILO CITY – Eighteen tons of Guimaras mangoes are available for consumption during the 34th Manggahan Festival from May 15 to 24, with highlights from May 22 to 24.
Gov. Maria Lucille Nava announced that the “Mango Eat-All-You-Can ” is bigger than ever.
Provincial Agriculturist Alvin Nava said more mangoes are available as they increased availability to 18 metric tons from five last year.
Visitors can eat as much mangoes as they can for 30 minutes.
The festival is anchored on the province’s most popular product, the first in the country to earn a geographical indication (GI) seal.
Provincial Tourism Officer Jaypee Entredicho said that a cultural competition on May 24 will showcase the heritage and culture of the provincial capital of Jordan and four municipalities Buenavista, Nueva Valencia, San Lorenzo, and Sibunag.
Manggahan also celebrates the founding anniversary of Guimaras, once a sub-province of Iloilo. Guimaras officially became a province on May 22, 1992.